Bring-Backs From Kenya Deployment

bryang

During the late 1980's I took part in several deployments to Kenya, east Africa, where we conducted training and military exercises with the Kenyan Army's 20th Parachute Battalion.

Kenya was an awesome place - wandering out of our camp you routinely came across zebra, gazelle, wild boar, giraffes, etc... as well as local Samburu tribesmen.

We conducted several parachute drops with the Kenyan Paratroopers, however discovered that they really do not like to jump. Their Jumpmasters (known as 'Dispatchers') literally had to physically grab many of the young troopers and actually throw them out of the back of the aircraft! We jumped from Kenyan Air Force DHC-5 Buffalo aircraft, with a ramp at the back where the Dispatchers would stand. When we (Americans) jumped it was a game we called "dodge the Dispatcher" whereby we would do our best to wiggle around them before they could physically grab us and throw us out of the plane! Eventually they were told that "the Americans like to jump," after which they would simply give the jump commands than step aside as we exited the plane.

The drop zone was generally open plains, however each time we descended there was plenty of wildlife scampering around - spooked as we landed among them ... Gazelles, giraffes, ostriches, mostly (we kept close watch for lions ... designated Kenyan troops routinely carried live ammunition as a precaution).

Here is a Kenyan uniform I swapped for. As Kenya is a former British colony, their Kenyan military customs and much of their gear are British.

post-152877-0-97856700-1404189723.jpgpost-152877-0-21224400-1404189733.jpg

Put away in one of my other boxes, I have the heavy smock jacket (same camo pattern) as their uniform, as well as a running suit (top & bottom) with the 20th Parachute insignia on it.

Here is insignia from the Kenyan Army 20th Parachute Battalion:

post-152877-0-03293800-1404189923.jpg

The Kenyan Army (like the British) wear cloth Parachutist Wings affixed to the upper sleeve. My unit (5th Special Forces Group) had metal wings made for wear on our dress uniforms. This metal wing was actually approved by the Kenyan Army and Defense Ministry for our wear. The silver wing (center above the cloth wings) is a copy of this authorized badge.

post-152877-0-17811300-1404189934.jpg

A copy of my certificate awarding me the Kenyan Parachutist Badge:

post-152877-0-29183300-1404189945.jpg

m1ashooter

Great post. Kinda typica US Military, let you jump into a country where you could be eaten by a critter and all you have is a rifle without ammo or a knife.

Bryan

Great post and photos.First certificate from Kenya I have ever seen.All the other items really are a well documented set.Thanks for sharing some more obscure items from your military career.