1/35 scale 3 Figure Guadalcanal Vignette

Old Marine

These figures are the DML Guadalcanal Marines. The set comes with 4 figures but didn't like the pose of the 4th figure so I just left him out, he ended up in the parts box.

These figures are put together straight out of the box. This DML figure set has some nice details, the Reising submachine gun and the short, blunt machete.

Anyway, here are some photos.

Dennis

post-2843-0-03528700-1404161080.jpg

The Meatcan

Fantastic work Dennis! Even the landscape base is super. Hard to believe it's 1/35 scale; your painting is good it could easily pass for a larger scale!

Terry

Proud Kraut

Three months after you've posted the DDay-Vignette, you are now sharing another masterpiece with us. Thanks for another highlight, Dennis!

I really admire your painting skills. Perfect skin tone, multiple shades of OD for the different parts of the clothing and a super realistic base. GREAT WORK. How did you achieve the absolute matt look of your figures? My tend to be a little bit shiny always. What colors did you use?

Lars

Old Marine

Thanks you all for the positive comments.

I painted these figures with Vallejo acrylic paints. I prime the figures with flat white spray enamel, a light coat. I paint in very thin layers, almost washes, and slowly build up the color. It takes longer but the results are better. Also painting in thin coats allows you to fix mistakes and add shadows and highlight. Acrylics if you paint them on too heavy can get that plastic looking sheen to them, the white primer really helps to cut down on the sheen.

Plastic and resin figures are a bit oily and most have some kind of mold release on them, plus glueing and filling them with putty and handling them can leave all kinds of greasy residue. If you paint thin acrylics directly on to the plastic figure you will probably see the paint bead up and not coat smoothly, that is the water reacting to the oily surface of the figure. To get the acrylic to stick and cover you might paint with a thicker coat. Acrylics when painted on in a thick coat then dry with that toy like plastic sheen.

To test this squirt a blob of Vallejo paint on to a piece of white paper and let it dry, that blob will dry with a semi gloss sheen. If you thin out some paint and paint it on to the white paper it will dry dead flat.

I have found that priming the figure with a very light coat of flat white spray enamel really helps. The paint seals up the figure and gives you a nice white, even ground to paint on. Once the white primer has dried I paint the base color on in thin layers. In some cases like where you want to show faded cloth the white shows though on the high spots and can really simulate worn areas. One other thing about priming the figures is that once they are painted white it is very easy to see mold lines and flash that you may have missed.

I paint all my figures this way, the D-Day Vignette as well as all the figures in the vehicles and tanks.

Dennis

A figure-modeller friend of mine swears by aerosol cans of light grey automobile primer. Once he's done with the modelling he washes the figures in warm water with detergent to remove all skin oils deposited by handling etc. Then, when dry, he gives them a couple of light coats of the aforementioned primer. He says it "shrinks" onto the surface and unifies all of the different materials used ( modelling putty, plastic, metal etc) and gives a good surface with some "teeth" which the paints can successfully adhere to.

Proud Kraut

Dennis, I really would like to ask for a "How to paint Figures" step by step tutorial thread, PLEASE!!!! :rolleyes:

This is amazing work. I love how its a small base to. I have often thought of having a go but never wanted to tackle anything to big, this gives me a chacne to do a small one and test my skills.

Michigan Dawg

Olive drab and khaki are not easy colors to work with when it comes to shading and highlighting but you've done a great job.

Great presentation and a real pleasure to view.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your artistry with us all.

• 3 weeks later...