My First EGA: WWI USMC Helmet

19MJR91

I came across this helmet unexpectedly at a Memorial Day type event. The man selling it quoted me a price I couldn't pass up even though I had to save for a month. I have been looking to start a WWI USMC collection for a while in honor of a relative who was KIA in Belleau Wood and I really didn't expect to start with something as nice as this helmet.

So, I just want to share and maybe hear a little more about the EGA from more knowledgeable collectors. Enjoy!

ssU3iDJ.jpg

7gIsz7E.jpg

JZRvX9c.jpg

gAztQqL.jpg

4ubPB6L.jpg

The ega is correct for the period. Scratches around it are odd. Is the hole punched or drilled? There has been much debate regarding the use of ega's on WWI helmets during the war. There is some photographic evidence and artwork that suggests it was done, as well as some ega's that have been purportedly dug at battle sites. Doesn't appear it was widespread however (there is a robust debate on that issue as well). The helmets were also used after the war, and that is when most of the ega's were placed on the helmet, in many cases along with artwork for the specific unit. I think some helmets were used as well with just ega's in the Banana war period, (I seem to recall this depicted in a photo in Nicaragua) and of course the 4th Brigade used them on their helmets in China late 20's and 30's. These China helmets though were typically stripped on their sand finish and painted a gloss green. I suggest you search the forum for the many previous threads on this subject. Interesting reading. Kevin

teufelhunde.ret

The ega is correct for the period.

Scratches around it are odd.

Is the hole punched or drilled?

~ concur

~ VERY odd

~ post pic of screwpost hole without screw and washer pls.

I suggest you search the forum for the many previous threads on this subject. Interesting reading. Kevin

I'll absolutely do this.

~ concur

~ VERY odd

~ post pic of screwpost hole without screw and washer pls.

Glad to hear two people think the EGA is period. I agree that the scratches are odd. They're all over the helmet and EGA though, so my guess is just that it was treated roughly at some point. I'll be sure to take a picture of the hole without the EGA when I'm next around it this coming weekend. I'm honestly surprised I didn't think to do that.

teufelhunde.ret

In the EGA discussion area, there is a pinned thread w/ many period helmet w/ EGAs, a good primer on the topic.

In the EGA discussion area, there is a pinned thread w/ many period helmet w/ EGAs, a good primer on the topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30549-wwi-usmc-painted-helmets-with-egas/

The EGA very well may have been added to the helmet, incredibly easy to do. I'd remove it and examine the area beneath it, look for a 'ghost' such as fading differences, rub on the grit texture, etc, that is often present with these helmets as the EGA's have generally been affixed for close to a century

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30549-wwi-usmc-painted-helmets-with-egas/

The EGA very well may have been added to the helmet, incredibly easy to do. I'd remove it and examine the area beneath it, look for a 'ghost' such as fading differences, rub on the grit texture, etc, that is often present with these helmets as the EGA's have generally been affixed for close to a century

Like I said, I will definitely do that. All I can say for now is that someone I trust and have a close relationship with vouched for the man who sold it to me. He stated that he got it at an estate auction of some sort ~25 years ago with moth eaten Marine uniforms. He also said that if I ever wanted to sell it to call him first. Of course that still leaves the ~70 years in between then and 1918 for something to have happened. We shall see.