USMA Sash Information

Collector .45

Collector .45

Moderators, please feel free to move this or change the title.

Hello everyone,

I recently received a grouping from a tank commander who attended West Point and served in the Vietnam War. Included in the grouping were multiple West Point Uniforms. I would like to use the full dress uniform for a display and I have no idea how the white sash is supposed to be attached to the uniform. I have tried to find a good reference but I have had no luck. I would guess several forum members attended West Point and could possibly help me. Thanks

- Henry

VolunteerArmoury

I don't know how back this style dates but here's a video on a modern style. That isn't my video however I just did a google search.

White sash? Is it a shoulder saber belt? Those were white, and require a brass breast plate. I have seen photos of WP cadets wearing red sashes. The modern red sash comes in two pieces, as shown in the video linked by volunteer armory

For the white shoulder saber belt, the two ends may be rolled and tucked under the prongs on the under side of the breast plate. Let me try to find an illustration.

Maddog hit it on the head - You just roll the ends and tuck them under the breast plate. If I remember correctly the top corner of the breast plate should be even with the 2nd button down - Been a few years but I think that was the right one.

Kyle

Collector .45

Thanks for the info everyone. I have another question. How does the white sash attach to the uniform itself. From the videos I have seen, it looks like is loops at the shoulder and has a small portion hanging down the back.

Maddog1129

Thanks for the pictures. Do you know how it attaches?

- Henry

It doesn't really attach per se- you may loop one of the metal prongs of the breastplate into the jacket flap to keep it from moving, but that's about it- otherwise you just loop it over the right shoulder, and then run the red sash around te waist- below the sash should be the little flap to insert the saber scabbard- the weight of the cadet saber keeps it down, and the sash keeps the saber belt close to the body.

Kyle

maddog1129

Let me try a mirror shot with the saber belt over the shoulder. Remember, this is backward, the belt goes over the right shoulder to the left hip post-4140-0-96442700-1404370183.jpg

maddog1129

At the West Point official website, they have some pictures illustrating the various cadet uniforms. I'm attaching a downloaded copy of their image of a cadet officer wearing a saber belt and red sash. That's much more inspection ready than my mirror shot. ;)post-4140-0-83414900-1404611021.jpeg

Collector .45

At the West Point official website, they have some pictures illustrating the various cadet uniforms. I'm attaching a downloaded copy of their image of a cadet officer wearing a saber belt and red sash. That's much more inspection ready than my mirror shot. ;)attachicon.giffulldress.jpeg

Thanks maddog1129,

I figured it out and it should work nicely. Thanks for the assistance.

- Henry