US Rangers memorial, Weymouth, England.

Sabrejet

I was down on the South Coast at the weekend and spent a few hours in the coastal town of Weymouth. This town would be very familiar to many surviving US vets as its harbour, along with many others along the South Coast, were ports of embarkation for US forces on the eve of D- Day. There's a famous sequence of photographs which depict "Rudder's Rangers" in full combat gear marching in formation along Weymouth esplanade en route to the harbour. Overall, little has changed since then and the basic scene is still recognizable today. On the esplanade in that location is a memorial to the US Rangers, and indeed all US servicemen who passed through there during those fateful days. I thought you might like to see it.

post-8022-0-97040300-1404117425.jpg

post-8022-0-67708700-1404117441.jpg

post-8022-0-06033100-1404117464.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Hi Ian,

Great post! We've frequented Weymouth a few times in recent years (a beautiful example of an English seaside town) and I have similar pictures of the Ranger memorial. If you go a few steps down the road you can match up the buildings on the esplanade to those in the wartime photos, as I believe most are still standing.

Hope all is well!

Will

Hi Will...I'm good thanks. Yes...you're absolutely right. In fact, there are some "then/now" type pics on the net which attest to that very fact!

General Apathy

I was down on the South Coast at the weekend and spent a few hours in the coastal town of Weymouth. This town would be very familiar to many surviving US vets as its harbour, along with many others along the South Coast, were ports of embarkation for US forces on the eve of D- Day. There's a famous sequence of photographs which depict "Rudder's Rangers" in full combat gear marching in formation along Weymouth esplanade en route to the harbour. Overall, little has changed since then and the basic scene is still recognizable today. On the esplanade in that location is a memorial to the US Rangers, and indeed all US servicemen who passed through there during those fateful days. I thought you might like to see it.

Hi Ian, well we spoke on the phone and It sounds like you had a great weekend with all that you did, and you will have many more photos to add to the forum once you have sorted them, look forward to seeing them when you have started a topic for them.

Nice shots of this monument on the sea front walkway.

Ken

Hi Ian, well we spoke on the phone and It sounds like you had a great weekend with all that you did, and you will have many more photos to add to the forum once you have sorted them, look forward to seeing them when you have started a topic for them.

Nice shots of this monument on the sea front walkway.

Ken

Thanks Ken..."watch this space" as they say! ;)

Ian -- no one can do up a monument like the British! Jean

Why thank you Jean...nice of you to say so! ;)

Government Issue

It's beautiful to see how over the years panels were added to the monument. I had no idea there was a monument in Weymouth, but it's now something I'll look for whenever I'm able to get myself across the pond to retrace the rangers' steps. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Ian!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

By way of an addition to this article… You might be interested in this.

Colonel Rudders Pointe du Hoc landing craft found & now undergoing restoration!

LCA 888 and 3 others are being restored.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/stop-press-rudders-pointe-du-hoc-landing-craft-found-now-in-restoration.html

Government Issue

By way of an addition to this article… You might be interested in this.

Colonel Rudders Pointe du Hoc landing craft found & now undergoing restoration!

LCA 888 and 3 others are being restored.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/stop-press-rudders-pointe-du-hoc-landing-craft-found-now-in-restoration.html

Whoa.. now that is insane. Thanks for the information! I'll be following this!