What does "M.N.S." mean on a patch?

lelier

Hello!

My father in law asked me to research a patch for him and I'm coming up with almost nothing. I'm sorry I don't have a photo and he lives 4 hours away.

Description:

A blue wool background

Crossed anchors in white

3 red stripes

Eagle in white

and the letters M.N.S.

He is thinking it is WWI or WWII

Any ideas? We are thankful for any and all information!

Lisa Lier

Lisa

Taking a guess that the M.N.S might stand for: Marine and Navy School. Another possibility would be a rated seaman. Could your father in-law take the patch to a FedEx/Kinkos and have them scan the patch and then have them email you a copy.

Mason

It's for a Nautical School. Don't remember if it is Main, Massachusetts or some other "M" place. Not Navy, but civilian. Of course, a picture should help tremendously.

Thank you!

I don't know why I haven't thought of asking him to have it scanned somewhere like that. Geez! I'll give him this info and see if he wants to go farther. It would be wonderful if this Korean/Vietnam war career Army vet would use a cell phone! *G* Love him anyway! :)

Lisa Lier

Lisa

Present day Massachusetts Maritime Academy was named the Massachusetts Nautical School from 1913 until 1942. You may want to give them a call to see if the patch description fits. If you can get your father in-law to get a scan done would be a bonus. 508.830.5000 or [email protected].

Mason