Cleaning Bullion on patches

lelier

Hi!

My father in law has a nice patch collection and wanted to know how to clean some with bullion and asked me! I have no idea, I'm just the daugher in law that does research for him on bases, units, etc.

Can anyone help us in how to clean them safely?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Lisa Lier

Thank you! That was what we pretty much thought... but wanted to be sure. His collection is extensive and he is very knowledgeable but every once in a while he double checks on things.

One other question, what is the significance of silver bullion on rate/rank for US Navy?

I've learned over the years that with antiques it's best to leave them totally alone! Well, dust and a light damp cloth to them when needed! He has now gotten me into sweetheart jewelry, that can be addicting also!~

Thanks again!

Lisa

WorldWarPatches

The patch police will be after you if you clean them. Seriously, you should leave them as they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd NEVER want the patch police after me! That group is SCARY! ?

Thanks to everyone for confirming our thoughts,

Lisa

SergeantMajorGray

Thank you! That was what we pretty much thought... but wanted to be sure. His collection is extensive and he is very knowledgeable but every once in a while he double checks on things.

One other question, what is the significance of silver bullion on rate/rank for US Navy?

I've learned over the years that with antiques it's best to leave them totally alone! Well, dust and a light damp cloth to them when needed! He has now gotten me into sweetheart jewelry, that can be addicting also!~

Thanks again!

Lisa

Bouillon on Navy rates were private purchase and usually people who were very proud of their rank bought them.

I do believe it's possible to clean/protect the bullion but I am no help as to how.

I know I saw a thread on WAF detailing the procedure..

it looked complicated, touchy, and something I would not like to try.

-Brian

Bouillon on Navy rates were private purchase and usually people who were very proud of their rank bought them.

I'm sure they are proud of their rank, but gold chevrons on a Navy rating badge indicate 12 years of good conduct and something you must earn. The badges were always bullion (metallic wire embroidery), with gold chevrons and silver eagle (or crow, if you prefer) and specialty mark. If I remember right, it was some time in the 1960's or 70's when they switched to synthetic gold and silver thread. A little searching of the forum will likely bring up the exact details.

From the current Navy uniform regs:

4232. GOLD RATING BADGE AND SERVICE STRIPES. Personnel whose most recent 12 cumulative years of Naval active or active reserve service meets requirements for Good Conduct Service (that which meets minimum requirements for performance, conduct and evaluations marks for the Good Conduct Award) shall wear gold rating badges and gold service stripes on Dress Blue uniforms, Dinner Dress Blue uniforms and Dinner Dress Blue/White Jacket uniforms. The 12 years may be active or drilling reserve time in the Navy, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps, or Marine Corps Reserve. Times excluded are: delayed entry programs, inactive reserves and broken service. Under broken service conditions - resume the cumulative time count upon active duty reenlistment or upon enlisting in the drilling reserves.

SergeantMajorGray

I'm sure they are proud of their rank, but gold chevrons on a Navy rating badge indicate 12 years of good conduct and something you must earn. The badges were always bullion (metallic wire embroidery), with gold chevrons and silver eagle (or crow, if you prefer) and specialty mark. If I remember right, it was some time in the 1960's or 70's when they switched to synthetic gold and silver thread. A little searching of the forum will likely bring up the exact details.

From the current Navy uniform regs:

4232. GOLD RATING BADGE AND SERVICE STRIPES. Personnel whose most recent 12 cumulative years of Naval active or active reserve service meets requirements for Good Conduct Service (that which meets minimum requirements for performance, conduct and evaluations marks for the Good Conduct Award) shall wear gold rating badges and gold service stripes on Dress Blue uniforms, Dinner Dress Blue uniforms and Dinner Dress Blue/White Jacket uniforms. The 12 years may be active or drilling reserve time in the Navy, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps, or Marine Corps Reserve. Times excluded are: delayed entry programs, inactive reserves and broken service. Under broken service conditions - resume the cumulative time count upon active duty reenlistment or upon enlisting in the drilling reserves.

I forgot about the gold I was referring to silver bullion crows which I don't think were standard I don't think I have a Khaki CPO uniform without one and I have seen a black 8 button CPO coat with a rate patch.

Patchcollector

I think that the stuff required to clean the bullion may damage the cloth,so cleaning would therefore be unproductive.