Col Bubbies Galvestion Texas

m1ashooter

An end of an era. Col Bubbies is going out of business after 40 odd years. If you are in the Houston Metro a vist to the Store is a trip back to surplus stores of old. The place is packed with loot and has that old web gear smell.

Back before the internet you could find his sales Ad's in Shotgun News. Its rumered the really good stuff is stashed on the second floor. I've got to break away and visit to see what kinda of deals they have.

If you are headed on a crusie out of Galvestion, the store is located around the corner from the terminal.

Sad to hear.I lived in town there for a year and it was a fairly regular saturday stop for me.He was usually manning the front register.He always had some intresting things and I often wondered what you didnt see and the stairs that led to the second floor were piled with stuff.This was 1984-85.I had heard he passed away and Im sure the building is prime realestate on the Strand.

Sure wish I could visit and then go to lunch for BBQ at THE WHARE HOUSE.

Keep us in formed as to what you see for sale.There were some neat items on the upper walls as well that werent for sale.

When I worked at UTMB My boss told me that Bubbies father had owned two pawn shops in Galveston during WW2.He recalled seeing the front widows of one store piled 3 foot deep in Japanese swords and rifles he had taken in on pawn from men passing through.

Bummer....i remember getting some nice helmet covers from him in the very late 80s from the old shotgun news add......mike

Although Meyer has not been with us for a couple of years, the closing of the store ends an era of surplus stores that, at least I, and many of you Forummers out there grew up with. Always enjoyed his banter and the cats that seemed to rule the place. Sad to see it go. Al.

Wow...when I lived in Houston from '77 to '99, this wonderful old place became one of my regular haunts, and Meyer and I became good friends. I was very saddened to hear of his passing, and mighty sad to hear of their closing. Thanks for the great memories, Mr. Reiswerg...

Couldn't happen to a nicer place.

I got ripped off from them in the mail, And finally learned that when they said WW2, it means " someone here thinks it might be WW2, but ya know, we're not experts, so youse takes your chances and if you disagree with us non-experts you're pretty much out of luck.