M17 Rifle repair box

mp44

Garandomatic

I see these in odd quantities, sometimes with high prices, almost always empty. I agree, they're neat! I'd like to collect the components to restore mine, but I figure I'd have better luck getting a jumper from every ship involved the action off Samar in the Leyte battle, and that's pretty steep odds, there.

I have one as well, great boxes!

If one ever came up even 50% complete, I would probably go nuts (even better if there was an '03 version out there).

RustyCanteen

(even better if there was an '03 version out there).

There is, I believe it is the M1910 Arm Repair Chest. I've seen a couple and I think there is one pictured in Brophy's 'Springfield' book. The problem with finding either box containing parts (much less with the tools) is that they were apparently all stripped and sold surplus empty. I suspect the boxes had the contents removed in the 1920s. All those spares probably went with the rifles issued in 1939-1945 to allied countries and US training.

That is one of the nicer M1917 boxes I have seen though.

• 6 years later...
mountain artillery

These boxes are indeed neat. I have been collecting "stuff" for mine for a couple of years. Should I post a photo?

Great item. Would you be able to get a closer shot of the label on the inside of the box's cover? I'm guessing that shows the contents. 

phantomfixer
On 4/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, mountain artillery said:

These boxes are indeed neat. I have been collecting "stuff" for mine for a couple of years. Should I post a photo?

indeed you should