Distinguished Marksman & Pistol 10K Lapel Pins

Picked these up a couple of weeks ago with a Treasury Department Expert lapel pin, so I'm assuming the man was a competitive shooter in the military. One is a Distinguished Pistol, the other a Distinguished Marksman. Am I correct that the USMC used marksman on the badges whereas the Army used rifleman? Rather, did the Army ever use marksman?

I'm thinking these are a generic lapel pin for wear by a member of any service who went distinguished, as they are missing a top bar designating branch. Screwback, and marked 1/20 10K GF...so I'm thinking circa WWII-ish. These came to me almost entirely blue with corrosion and with horrible rusted nuts on them. A LOOOOONG soak in CLP got the screwbacks off, and a lot of elbow grease and toothpaste got most of the corrosion off, except for some in the crevices. Really great pins!

101_5928.JPG

101_5931.JPG

ocsfollowme

I've never seen lapel pins such as this before! And I've been a gold hunter for about a decade. Even though they are 1/20th 10k gold, I must say they are rare--whatever the value is.

All of the 10k medals that I have owned and seen tend to be USMC or Navy.

I have a variety of marksmanship lapel pins USMC style...rifle and pistol experts and sharpshooter...but these are the first distinguished I've seen, as well. Wondering if they had EIC lapel pins

• 4 months later...

These are awesome Brig!

Hi Brig,

I'm in total agreement with Sgt! These are awesome. I'm so glad you were able to restore them by a patient soak. They look incredible.

Thank you for posting these, I've never seen the like before.

Best wishes,

Joe