WWII Victory Medal?

A friend of mine gave me this recently. He doesn't collect military stuff so he gave it to me. He said he found it at a garage sale for cheap.

I know next to nothing about medals, as my main focus of collecting is helmets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-128667-0-49913700-1403981485.jpg

post-128667-0-14325600-1403981494.jpg

It is a commemorative medal made to sell to people. Not a US government medal. They have been made for about anything who ever makes them can think of and can be bought on line. Medals of America has 41 different ones for sale.

donation2014.gif

It's recent. You can buy this medal at Medals of America for $17.95. The case is a nice touch.

...compared to an actual original issue WWII Victory Medal that commonly sells for around $10.

I'm confused about why some company even bothers to make this. No one that collects medals wants a commercial piece, and any vets still around shouldn't have any interest in a commercial design that is merely similar to what they earned.

It costs money to make a design, create a die, strike, package, and ship these things. I just can't see it being worth the effort to make.

I see a lot of these added to shadow boxes to enhance the number of medals earned, usually by family members. There must be a market for them, they make a medal for every conceivable conflict!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

jetteraf,

Companies make these to sell to (a large majority) to clueless types, who think these will increase in value,AKA Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint garbage, And the MOd is correct , if you get an offer of even $3.00 take the money and run

jetteraf,

Companies make these to sell to (a large majority) to clueless types, who think these will increase in value,AKA Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint garbage, And the MOd is correct , if you get an offer of even $3.00 take the money and run

Yeah, I guess they wouldn't be made is someone wasn't making money from them. They just strike me as the epitome of a worthless item- what a shame the time and resources were spent making such a useless thing.