Multi-war event at Allison Woods, Statesville NC?

J_Andrews

I have heard that there is to be large-scale, multi-war reenactment event at "Allison Woods" NC, 19-21 September.

I have checked the website for Allison Woods (a privately-owned nature-study facility) and it ADMITS to an event resembling the one described to me, but it does not give details, i.e. enumerate any participating units other than a few Civil War ones.

Can anyone fill me in?

How "major" is this to be? How many units? With or without tactical play? Worth a drive for a spectator? Any vehicles? Any flea market?

Thanks,

John Andrews

J_Andrews Jun 11 2008, 07:19 PM

I have heard that there is to be large-scale, multi-war reenactment event at "Allison Woods" NC, 19-21 September.

Correct. This is the seventh year that a living history event is being hosted at Allison Woods. Typically, it's a Civil War event. This year however, a WWII element is being added to it.

I have checked the website for Allison Woods (a privately-owned nature-study facility) and it ADMITS to an event resembling the one described to me, but it does not give details, i.e. enumerate any participating units other than a few Civil War ones.

(What's with the "ADMITS"??? It sounds like a junior prosecuting attorney getting a witness on the stand.) Details? Details are all over their site.... For example, the 49th NC (and their alternate impression, 21st Mass), 25th NC infantry regt., the 125th OVI (Union), a group calling themselves Hampton's Legion, and the 2nd US. Some of our guys will be there, as will some from our sister unit, The All-Americans. I'd also presume there will be German reenactors there based on information supplied on the Allison Woods web site. Since this is the first year for WWII (and Rev. War, I think) it's not entirely clear who will coming that isn't Civil War-related. If it's critical to the decision to come, call the event coordinator, Selena Goodin. Her contact information is posted on the web site. You can call her at 704.873.5976 or email her at [email protected]

Can anyone fill me in?

See the web site.

How "major" is this to be? How many units? With or without tactical play? Worth a drive for a spectator? Any vehicles? Any flea market?

Selected snippets of information, per the web site:

+This is a living history and reenactment event. Visitors will travel throughout the site visiting the various displays and activity venues and interacting with reenactors while learning about wars in American history.

+There will be three battles each day: Revolutionary – Civil War – World War II.

+Weapons demonstrations and battle drills will be scheduled.

+There is a registration form for sutlers. Sutlers are vendors (Civil War-era camp merchants, for lack of an in-depth definition.) "A fine Sutler Row that offers a wide variety of wares"

+Coloring contest and BINGO!

+Live bluegrass music.

+Ladies fashion show.

+Lantern tours

+Nighttime cannon firing

No offense, but all of your questions' answers are found on the web site.

http://www.allisonwoodslivinghistory.com/

thumbsup.gif

My queries were directed at WWII -- which is barely mentioned on the wonderful website.

My source made it sound like a big deal, with several WWII groups out in force. From what I have seen of other events in NC, I was suspicious of exaggeration. The wonderful website does not support that version.

And, sorry, I am not interested in coloring contests, bingo or bluegrass.

And lastly, you seem to take personal offense at a simple query. Tsk tsk.

My queries were directed at WWII -- which is barely mentioned on the wonderful website.

My source made it sound like a big deal, with several WWII groups out in force. From what I have seen of other events in NC, I was suspicious of exaggeration. The wonderful website does not support that version.

And, sorry, I am not interested in coloring contests, bingo or bluegrass.

And lastly, you seem to take personal offense at a simple query. Tsk tsk.

No. I'm not taking anything personally. If you want to go, go. If not, stay home. I have no stake in the Allison Woods event whatsoever. My point was that your questions were either answered on the web site or could be answered by calling the listed contact person.

As far as WWII, since this is the first year WWII reenactors are going to be there, IMHO it's a crap-shoot as to whether it'll be 5 or 500. I told you some of my unit members were going, as well as members of The All-Americans. and some of the 82d Living History Detachment (sponsored by Fort Bragg) and The Old Hickory Divison (30ID.) As for Germans, I would not be surprised to find out that 116PzrGrdr will be there (they're local to NC) as are elements of 1SS LAH Recon.

Mope around the house or spend some time at Allison Woods. What's the worst that happens? You "wasted" an afternoon learning about Civl War camp life. On the flip side it might be all it's purported and you'll get to the whole Rev. War/CW/WWII camp-and-battle experience. Now where's my red crayon???

CEASE FIRE.

As you have said, I can go, based on HOPE, or stay home. If it is raining:Home. If I can escape honeydews: go.

IF IF IF, as time goes by, you get a glimmering of what WWII turnout is likely, please post the news.