Army Badge: Retired Service Identification Badge

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury

Not to debate the significance of such a badge being authorized but the The Retired Service Identification Badge was authorized in March 2014. It is to be worn on the left pocket. I imagine about the only folks to wear this would be retirees for appropriate holidays, services such as funerals, JROTC instructors, & recallees in service dress uniforms. I stuck one in my "I love me stuff" for the hell of it. Kinda interesting that I've seen this around for a couple years since the CSIBs were first done but never saw the point of it but I guess it was manufactures' choosing to do it & perhaps the Uniform Board or TIOH just named it & pulled it into regs.

"The Combat Service Identification Badge uniquely identifies a Soldier's combat service with a specific major U.S. Army unit. The CSIB is authorized for immediate use on the new blue Army Service Uniform, Class A, Army Service Uniform Class B, and the transitioning (old) blue uniform. The CSIB cannot be worn on the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) or the Army Green Uniform. Soldiers will continue to wear the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia-Former Wartime Service (full-color unit patch denoting service with a specific U.S. Army unit) on their right sleeve of the ACU and Army Green Uniform to denote combat service. The CSIB is worn centered on the right breast pocket for male Soldiers and on the right side - parallel to the waistline - for female Soldiers. The CSIB is ranked fifth in the order of precedence for identification badges outlined in Army Regulation 670-1, para 29-18."

And here's TIOH site with less information: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=2984&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

post-373-0-43799900-1403819434.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

There are probably a lot of older retirees that did not earn a CSIB. So this will give them something to wear. I wear my 1st Cav CSIB on my Italian American War Veterans Color Guard uniform all the time. We perform Military Funerals for the members of Post #1 in Lorain, Ohio. We also participate with other veterans organizations throughout the year.

Danny

post-1691-0-09349200-1403838324.jpg

• 4 months later...

This not new, there is an SSI with same design authorized for retirees to wear on the dress green Class A uniform.

Mike

post-1038-0-37058300-1415506075.jpeg

VolunteerArmoury

The badge is actually new having just been authorized this year. March to be exact. The patch as you mention is not new. The design itself goes back to 1987 or 1988 as having been the design for the "U.S. ARMY, RETIRED " SSI. My father, brother, & I all have this SSI on our green Class A's. I have seen what became the Retired Service Identification Badge manufactured as a CSIB almost as soon as I first saw CSIBs at MCSS & other stores. It was not an official insignia till officially adopted as a new badge this year since the SSI is not worn on ASUs. It can also be worn on Mess & Evening Dresses, ASUs Class B, & I understand the old Dress Blues as well. I'm curious if it can be worn on Dress Whites even though I doubt I'll ever wear those again.

• 4 months later...

I just now found out about this badge. I read about it in a newsletter. I guess this is one more thing to buy for my blues and eventually a shadow box. Have you seen any photos of it being worn by a retiree? Thanks for sharing this.

• 4 weeks later...
airborne1968

There was a recent change to this badge. There are two versions. The one pictured above is the old version and this is the new version. Either can be worn once retired and they are worn on the left side. Yes, you can wear it with your CSIB which is worn on the right side. They are two separate badges (ie CSIB and RSIB). SOURCE: AR 670-1 dated 15 APR 2015

post-4228-0-94030200-1429793299.png