Incredibly Scarce, Jeweler Made, 1800's EGA

Brig

I was fortunate enough to be able to add this gem to my collection. I feel like I got it for a good price, but don't let that fool you into thinking it was cheap!

I believe this to be a Breuniger piece, as it bears several similar characteristics to epaulette emblems that we discussed several times, specifically here... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11595-egas-from-wwii-mustang-officer/

However, as the anchor flukes are not affixed to the globe, and due to size, I believe this to be a collar emblem. It is handmade by a jeweler, the typical source of such early officer dress emblems. Unmarked, but quite obviously silver. Has beautiful hand-tooling on the globe, though a bit faint from polishing during the era. The eye/head features have also been polished down. However, the best part is the wings...every feather crevice along the bottom was meticulously hand-done. And look at those tiny, detailed feet!

101_5892.JPG

BelligerentBlue

Now that is a pretty piece! I find trench art (occasionally haha) and you find everything else!

Pinback, with a heavy/thick c-clasp and T-shaped hinge. The eagle is attached to the globe by a strip of silver, typical of jeweler made pieces of the era. The pinback also encourages the idea it's a collar emblem, though pinbacks were occasionally used on the epaulettes

101_5893.JPG

Size comparison to another jeweler collar I own. Sadly, the eagle for it was long gone when I pulled it out of a misc insignia pile. It's a bit larger than the partial

101_5897.JPG

And finally, a comparison with an epaulette emblem...it's a bit smaller than the one on the board

101_5903.JPG

Great snag Brig...tough to follow up that EGA.

Well...it's mate would be a start! :D

Now that is a pretty piece! I find trench art (occasionally haha) and you find everything else!

I've had a hot streak the past week!

You are getting some good stuff. I think you did great on the price as well. Looks pretty close to this http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/111566-captain-shoulder-board-w-early-ega/

That was a prong back Breuniger on that board that unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time to grab up. I agree, that's the closest eagle to this one I can find...probably close to the same date of production!

I see you were watching that one...I'm surprised it didn't go higher, myself.

normaninvasion

Ahh good to know that the other was prong back, didn't see that in the post. Makes sense yours being a collar, as its pin back.

Always makes me wonder about the history behind these early pieces, officers being so small in number.