Range day?

possum

I'm looking into travelling to the good ol' US of A at some point soon, and whilst there I'd really like to visit a range and fire some genuine WWII (and more current) weaponry. Does anyone know where this might be possible? I've no idea where I might be going whilst over there, so all recommendations and feedback are welcome!

Thanks!

Jon

There are ranges that rent weapons all over the country...at least 2 or 3 in my town alone...as for WWII weapons, that's a bit tougher, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to fire automatics, and likely much more pricey, might even require a few hour class provided by the range and involving a fee

Thanks Brig. A friend of mine got some trigger time in at a range on the East Coast, and said it was a blast, but it was only any good for firing more modern weapons (Glocks, AR's and the like). Whilst I'd love to fire some of this stuff, WWII's my real passion so if there are any locations that anyone knows of where I could do that, that'd be great. As for fully automatic, well, that would be really neat too, but it's not essential.

I think your best-and cheapest-bet would be to find a range near a friendly forum member who collects WWII firearms and thinks a day of fun is shooting with a forum buddy :) . You could always foot the ammo costs and help him clean the weapons afterwards...you get to learn to take WWII weapons apart, he gets help busting carbon...win/win!

I would absolutely be up for that. Would cover costs of ammo and clean weapons afterwards. Question is, would anyone be prepared to let a 25 year old Brit out on the range with their treasures?!?

Charlie Flick

Possum:

There are a number of gun shops with ranges in Las Vegas, Nevada which offer machine gun rental. Here is one which offers shooting with a Thompson and many other full auto guns. There are many similar places in Vegas that you could choose from:

http://shoot.machinegunsvegas.com/

Regards,

Charlie

If you come to Houston, I'll take you out at my expense and let you shoot my M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Its the least I can do for a subject of a nation that took in so many of our uncles and dads.

Service weapons are soldier proof so even a Brit couldn't hurt them. Heck I'd even let you fire my #4 Lee Enfield.

There is a large MG shoot at Knob Creek Kentucky that is quite a gathering.You would have to check out the date of the show.

Also In Minnesota there is a large outdoor shoot once a year and for $20-$30 per weapon you can shoot about most any full auto arm from WW2.I think they even have a tank there for rides etc.

YankeeSpirit76

Finding a shooting range in this country is as easy as finding a Pub in the UK. They're everywhere!

Live here in New Hampshire. You buy some ammo and help clean. You can fire my M1911, M1911A1, Johnson M1941, OOW BAR and M1919A4 semi auto. Almost forgot my M1A1 carbine, M1903, and M1903A3. And there are a couple ranges here that rent full autos in this state. If interested let me know and will see what we can do.

if you didnt know the USA is having an ammo , gun powder, reloading supplies shortage and the ammo that is available is expensive

.45 auto costs about $25 a box [50 rds]

9mm ball costs about $13 - $20 a box [50 rds]

.38 special costs around $25 a box [50] (if you can find it)

.223 / 5.56 mm costs about $10 a box [20 rds]

.22 ammo is very hard to find right now?

.308 ball costs around $17.50 a box [20 rds]

7.62x54R for the Mosin Nagant is priced around $20 for 20 rds

I cut back my shooting trips since it's so expensive to shoot now, and only go a few times a year to conserve ammo

one local store wanted $40 for a 50 rd box of Winchester 9mm white box!

Well, you guys still have it easy! Here in the UK, if we want to fire blanks through real weapons at a re-enactment event, you have cost of hire (typically about $60-$100 per weapon) and then ammo is nearly $2 a round sometimes. Not cheap!

However, I've taken the cost of ammo into account so am more than happy to pay for anything I shoot. I have to say, I've been truly humbled by the number or people who have posted on here and contacted me via PM offering to help out. I wish I could take you all up on your kind offers. I'm still at the planning stages of the trip, and hopefully when I have a better idea of where I go, I can meet up with some forum members and we can have a drink (I'm buying!) and bust some caps!