Eli Wallach - dead at 98

jgawne

From the greatest film ever - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

He was a Sgt in the medical corps in Hawaii, then sent to OCS to become a medical administrative officer. Served in North Africa and France.

In France someone noticed he had acting experience and he was asked to put on a show for the patients. He wrote a play in which the Axis rulers were made fun of, and he played Hitler.

I wish I could have seen that: Eli Wallach playing Hitler !

It's such a shame he couldn't quite make it to 100! He was great at playing "bad guys"...like in The Magnificent Seven and The good, the bad and the ugly...but there were more strings to his bow than that. Yet another one of "the greatest generation" who also went on to entertain us in the post-war years gone to the great studio in the sky. R.I.P.

wallach200-1cd47bda63c611dedbb7e6cdb173d

OH man he's my favorite, The Good The Bad and The Ugly is one of my favorite films ever partly because his brilliant performance!

On one of the bonus features of the film he talked about his Medic experience in WWII and how it related to his beating scene in the film.

One of the greatest screen performances ever!

Leonardo

Garandomatic

Holy smokes, he played Tuco... I loved the part when he took apart all of the revolvers and pretty much put himself together something that would work!

He was great as Calvera , the bandit chief in "The Mag. 7". His line about the peasants is a classic. "If God didn't want them sheared, He wouldn't have made them sheep".

post-14135-0-69163300-1403757359.jpg

I grew up watching him in movies. too bad he didn't make 100. here's to Eli, he gave me many hours of entertainment. God bless!

I loved him in "The Victors" as platoon Sgt Craig. and his frequent admonition "Stupid Idiots!" See it on YouTube. Helluva an actor! R.I.P. Bobgee

ww2 vets a fast leaving us now. the greatest generation was just that--- great. they knew just how to handle problems and deal with them not like today. but, what was left behind from the past will always be a treasure to us today. RIP ELI.

ViewfinderGyrene

My grandfather loved his movies because they shared a first name. That appreciation was passed on to me.

To jgawne: man that would have been something to see! I would have laughde my heard off!

These people will never be equaled...never.