Three of a kind...USAAF Navigator wings were produced by AMICO

rustywings

All three of these WWII shirt size USAAF Navigator wings were produced by AMICO and appear nearly identical from the front...

IMG_5374.JPG

Same pin and catch assemblies...but the markings on the back are all different.

Standard incised and arched Amico hallmark:

IMG_5376.JPG

Issue piece with no reference to Amico...and simple incised STERLING mark:

IMG_5382.JPG

Thanks Gents for your responses. John, I have no one to blame except the dozen or so collectors on this Forum who have taken the study of these little differences to a new level. Possibly a little over the top, but these minuet variations are enlightening stuff when searching for chronological order.........and posting this stuff is better than talking with my wife!

Here's three more seemingly identical shirt-size Command Pilot wings produced by L.G. Balfour:

IMG_5384.JPG

John Conway

Thanks Gents for your responses. John, I have no one to blame except the dozen or so collectors on this Forum who have taken the study of these little differences to a new level. Possibly a little over the top, but these minuet variations are enlightening stuff when searching for chronological order.........and posting this stuff is better than talking with my wife!

Here's three more seemingly identical shirt-size Command Pilot wings produced by L.G. Balfour:

With you all the way on that Russ - I never had the energy to get 'em all in one place and look close!!!

Three different AMICO hallmarks on the back which vary a little from the three smaller AMICO-made Navigator badges illustrated above.

(Maybe "B-17 Guy" (John) can offer more details and a timeline regarding the use of these three hallmarks).

IMG_5397.JPG

John Cooper

Three different hallmarks...

Russ first thanks for posting Balfour wings! I wanted to add that the Balfour Ster Mark is sometimes found upside down. I think in one of the threads I posted multiple variations found.

Cheers

John