"Lightening" repro field gear

TrenchRat

Good day all...

I have a set of repro 1907 suspenders that I am using with an authentic 1903 9-pocket belt. The belt is alot lighter in color/shade than the suspenders. Is there any way I can get the suspenders to lighten up? Maybe washing a few times? Drying in the sunlight?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

TR

DesertRatTom

If you feel the need to lighten them color-wise, do not machine wash! Like all canvas & web gear,they are intended to be hand washed/scrubbed. Commercial dyeing process leave a lot of extra dye and sediments, so a good round with some standard clothes washiing soap in a bucket of cool water and a bit of quality time with a hand held scrub brush will probably get things evened up.

Word of caution- do not use bleach or enhanced laundry soap! stay with the tradition [older] stuff. When drying, avoid excessive heat from sunlight, like reflected light, as that will shrink the suspenders. Once dried, you'll have to pull and twist them to get them to lay properly. Treat them like you would the old ALICE gear, not sure about how the new gear cleaning is recommended.

Hope this helps.

DRT

If you must, wet them down and leave them in sunlight.

However, I don't have any problem at all with mi-matched colors- especially in that time period. However, if you are doing WW1 the suspenders are really not correct for most soldiers after the 1910 stuff came out. Really only rear echelon types and officers.

RustyCanteen

However, if you are doing WW1 the suspenders are really not correct for most soldiers after the 1910 stuff came out. Really only rear echelon types and officers.

That really depends. But I agree not really correct for AEF infantry.

Thanks for the opinions...

Perhaps I should clarify exactly what I am trying to accomplish. The repro suspenders are supporting an original 1903 9-pocket belt in one of my displays. The display is a reconstruction of a National Guardsman serving in Mexico (the early model gear is used to illustrate the fact that many, if not most, guardsman seved there with antiquated accoutrements). At this point I am looking for an original set of 1903 suspenders, but until I find a set, I am (unwillingly) using these repro suspenders. And because I am OCD, I'd like to lighten the suspenders to match the belt.

Caveat: I only have two reproduction items in my entire collection (as least that I know of ! ), one is this set of suspenders and the other is a repro 1906 cavalry saber...

Heck, I'll even throw in a pic of the work in progress. BTW, those nifty 1907-dated RIA russet straps are supporting my post 1913 blanket bag marked for the DC National Guard. I say post 1913 because the small pouch under the flap use Carr snaps (typical 1913 date)...

post-92682-0-99582300-1403628388.jpg