Is this Civil War era, it came with 8 CDVs the people seem to be from the 1860s

Picked this up from a friend of mine, I think it may be from the civil war, ive been some before from WW1 but the people were not dressed like this, its in really great shape!

post-9905-0-08308700-1403569859.jpg

• 1 month later...

Spanish American War era is my guess. Nothing like this is shown in Dammann's landmark 3-volume set on Civil War medical equipment and memorabilia, so it is safe to say not Civil War.

Agree that it appears later than Civil War, and I don't even think it's American. I suspect it is British late 1800s or early 1900s, probably issued by one of the aid societies. This fancy bandaging was pretty typical of that period, and was illustrated in many British and French manuals from the various aid societies (BBSM, Red Cross, Ladies Aid, St. John's Ambulance, etc.).

Better identification might be possible by close examination of illustration 33, the guy giving artificial respiration. This type of respiration was only in use for a limited period, as it was ineffective. But, look at the uniform on the guy doing it-- looks naval, but with sleeve chevrons. Does that look like any uniform which anyone recognizes? The guy in uniform on his back looks like he is attached to some kind of (patented?) stretcher or splint, which is certainly not US military, and he seems to be leaning his head on some kind of a backpack, which might be identifiable.

Sorry not to be able to give more definitive answers, but this is not my area.