California

vintageproductions

There are no militaria shops left in San Diego besides some of the Antique malls. For those go down to Ocean Beach and there is a couple of blocks of shops.

Otherwise you other option is Kolby's flea market at the sports arena.

You won't be able to buy anything, but the San Diego Air & Space Museum located in Balboa Park...and the U.S.S. Midway moored at 910 North Harbor Drive are two military museums well worth your time...

Thanks. I just checked out the Midway museum online, the last time I was in San Diego it hadn't opened yet. I think I will definitely go there. I'll have the family with me, and my wife's general rule on family trips is only one museum !

ocsfollowme

Before I ran off into the Army, I was just about to finish my docent training (just had to do the final walk through). I must say, since 2008...they have opened up so many more ready rooms and are increasing the exhibits every 3 months. This is a must to visit. Expect 3 hours here.

I'm looking forward to it. I looked at your website - what a project! What OCS Company did you go through? I was a TAC Officer and then Senior TAC in Delta Co, 2006-2007.

ocsfollowme

Alpha company. When I rolled through we had a new class starting up every 3 weeks. I think they had A, B, C, D and even E going on in January 2009. Nowadays, I hear that they have a new class every 3 months.

Thanks, collecting patches is addicting...and very similar to knowledge. The more you know, the more you don't know. The more you collect, the more you realize what is out there. =)

• 8 months later...
vintageproductions

That would for sure be a thrill ride.

I have seen many people walk in there perfectly, but when they walk out they are stumbling, disorientated, etc.

• 4 months later...

Plans changed and I'm north of San Fransisco for a few days. Anything worth seeing or shops worth stopping by in the Bay Area? I'm guessing some of the vintage clothing shops might have the best chance of coming across a stray uniform.

Also, has anyone been to the Rosie the Riveter / WWII Homefront NHP?

Thanks, Bob, that was on my short list if possible. I'm staying in San Rafael, so it's not too bad to get up there. The rest of the family wants to head down to the city for most of the time we're here, so I'll see what I can come across.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like they're closed Mon-Wed, so if I go up I'd need to call and try to schedule an appointment as I leave on Thursday. Might just have to do that.

easterneagle87

If you try Spec., Op., Group, 8581 Gravenstein Hwy, Cotati, CA 94931, (707) 588-8438. let me know how it is.

It is just north of Petaluma. They say they buy collectibles and advertise on Craigslist. If I ever get back to Petaluma I want to go there as well. The shop in Petaluma has AMAZING displays. It is down in the basement. Built like a WW1 bunker!!

Airborne-Hunter

If you try Spec., Op., Group, 8581 Gravenstein Hwy, Cotati, CA 94931, (707) 588-8438. let me know how it is.

It is just north of Petaluma. They say they buy collectibles and advertise on Craigslist. If I ever get back to Petaluma I want to go there as well. The shop in Petaluma has AMAZING displays. It is down in the basement. Built like a WW1 bunker!!

The place in Cotati opened up in the first quarter of 2015. There is a very wide variety of stuff, mostly from ww1 on up. However old/vintage material is very limited and anything good flies out. That said a decent amount walks in, mostly modern. It's a frequent stop over for virtually all the locals who collect military. Please note this place is in a white building with black/green roof, it is very easy to miss and somewhat hard to get into the parking lot.

The owner/operator has specific interests in special forces, only collects that and has done so for the last 20 years or so (as I am told).

Other than the place in Petaluma, there is Good to Go military surplus on the other side (West) of HWY 116 from SOG (again somewhat hard to locate). They don't really have anything, but if you're there, it might be worth the stop. There are a lot of antique stores on westward on HWY 116, but military items will be very sparse because at least two collectors make weekly rounds. Likewise these locations are also frequented alot of other collectors as well just not weekly.

There is a flea market on HWY 116 every Saturday and Sunday. Supposedly, and that's a BIG SUPPOSEDLY, a KIA USN PH group came out of that market about 5 years ago, but I have my doubts. Militaria-wise that flea market is hit by at least 3 collectors every weekend and Saturday just isn't worth it. Even so not much military stuff comes out of there. There is a flea market in Santa Rosa on Sunday's, but again it is frequented by at least FIVE collectors EACH weekend. Of these collectors, two are highly advanced and rarely buy much, but another buys most anything and everything, leaving very little. The other collectors scrape up what they can.

If you can make it as far north as Ukiah there should be another military surplus store right across from the fair grounds. It should still be there, but I haven't been there in 3-5 years and that was the only time I've been there in 10. Most of the stuff there is modern.

In other words the hobby is alive and well in Northern California, but finding things will be difficult. Bob will probably agree some of the stuff that comes out of this area is more than amazing, but the diamonds are few and far. Best ABN

if you get to petaluma, you will see a mannequin in dress greens, depicting richard penry, sgt E5, with his Medal of Honor, received when he was a member of my former brigade, the 199th light infantry, for his actions in vietnam.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I didn't make it up to Petaluma, even though my cousin's business is up there (just didn't have time to do it), so it's on the itinerary for the next trip out west.

• 6 years later...

Are there military shows in the LA - San Diego CA area this March or April?  Recommended retail outlets for militaria also in LA - San Diego area?  Thanks for any information,

Dennie