National Museum of Military History-Johannesburg, South Africa

Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

I am presently in South Africa on business and took some time to go and visit the subject museum. It is located next to the zoo in Johannesburg and is open 7 days a week and is quite inexpensive ($3.00USD) to get in. It features exhibits from all wars of which SA participated in with a heavy focus on WWII.

The US content consists of a variety of small arms, machine guns, a Sherman tank, a C47 with British markings, a Sherman Firefly and a M9 halftrack and a few other things. In addition to the US stuff there is a heavy allotment of British and German items ranging from small arms, artillery, tanks, to airplanes. Most of the items are from the North Africa campaign. Of particular note is a Me 262B-1a outfitted as a night fighter. This is the sole remaining example of the 15 produced.

There is also a shop for buying militaria. I was hoping to score a few nice items but the prices were way too high in my opinion even with the favorable US exchange rate. WWII naval rate SSI were going for $28.00USD. A khaki garrison hat with captain bars was $50.00USD. There was a 4 pocket EM Jacket with CBI SSI insignia, ribbon bar, khaki shirt with CBI insignia, tie and trousers for $150.USD. There is also an assortment of headgear, uniforms, insignia, pins, etc. It is pretty well stocked. But in my opinion, a bit pricey. I suspect it is simply the supply and demand.

The museum is definitely worth the time to visit.

The website is: www.ditsong.org.za

Attached are a few photos of my visit.

post-147204-0-00957400-1403529232.jpg

post-147204-0-25226000-1403529238.jpg

post-147204-0-46113700-1403529244.jpg

Hookemhorns88

Looks like an interesting museum. Their British colonial connection is very evident.

Yes it is. They are presently undergoing some exhibit changes that will show more of the colonial era and the struggles consistent with building of the country.