WW2 USMC Doggie Coat

Eric Queen

I paid way too much for this but was really happy to do it as the seller was Sammie's Friends and all proceeds go to medical care for animals at the Nevada County Animal Shelter in Grass Valley, CA. I really like the look of this piece and to be honest am not completely convinced that this was for a bulldog mascot (as are most of the coats that you see). I think it could be possible (I am only saying possible) that it could be something worn by a working (scout) dog. Not in the field of course but stateside for some (ceremonial?) reason, etc.

See below for an army example (for an army scout dog) of that I am talking about.

Either way happy to help out the animals and am happy with the piece.

EQ

coat 1 x.jpg

This is "Dobie" from the 33rd Infantry Scout Dog Platoon on his way home from Europe. To me the "feel" of the coat was similar (with the patch and chevrons, not as "decorative" as I have seen for most of the mascot coats)

dog 39 x.jpg

Thanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the coat itself (i.e.mascot vs.working dog)?

Thanks again

EQ

I'm going to guess it's for a working dog. I believe "Jiggs", the mascot, was always a sergeant. Nice find Eric. As you know, any of the "dog stuff" is hard to find.

Steve

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your imput and good to hear from you.

I have nothing to support it (in terms of hard data) but my hunch is you are correct. From what I understand the average chest girth of a doberman is between 28 and 32 inches. This piece is 30 inches wide. The distance between the front legs on a bulldog seems to be wider than on a doberman and (because the leg openings of the coat are fixed) I am not sure if a standard bulldog could even fit into this piece (I could of course be wrong).

Overall it just has more of a utilitarian (plain looking, thick/re-inforced lining) than decorative feel to it.

Again. I don't know. But an interesting question.

EQ

Great find! If memory serves, I remember seeing a photo at the USMC Museum of some Marine working dogs lined up for a ceremony of some kind during WWII. I believe they were wearing something similar, if not the same as what you have.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the coat itself (i.e.mascot vs.working dog)?

Thanks again

EQ

I was actually thinking mascot, but not a Depot mascot, or base mascot...maybe more of a unit mascot. This seems to be based off the alpha blouse, the working uniform of the era, so maybe for a stateside unit on Lejeune or Pendleton

Thanks Brig. Nice piece but to me the pieces have a vastly different feel. I could be wrong, could be just wishful thinking on my part, but my gut tells me this is not a mascot piece.

EQ

John Conway

Lining looks like Pile from an M-51 Field jacket liner - woven chevrons - might this be Korean war era?

Nothing is impossible but I doubt it. Have seen plenty of woven chevrons on WWII tunics. The lining could be anything.