I think I found a 'real' WW2 AAF CRUSHER! Am I right?

Keith

SocietyBrandHatCo

Matt is correct. Officers are required to purchase their uniforms. There were a few contracts by the government for officer caps that were provided for purchase to officers at a cheaper price. These caps are all regulation with very stiff frames and visors. Beginning in early 1942 enlisted men were not issued service caps any longer (the overseas cap replaced it as a cost savings measure). If enlisted men wanted a service cap they had to purchase it and they weren't allowed to wear it in formation.

AAF_Collection

I have a Bancroft Flighter and pics of the officer wearing it in late 1945, he was a railway officer and never served in the AAF, clearly he liked the look!.

I have a Bancroft Flighter and pics of the officer wearing it in late 1945, he was a railway officer and never served in the AAF, clearly he liked the look!.

Was that after the war?....As far as I'm aware the AAF were the only ones limited to wearing caps with the sloppy appearance....The regular army would not allow it.... Exception being somebody like MacArthur perhaps....Bodes

SocietyBrandHatCo

Lots of officers purchased Flighter style caps and wore them with stiffeners. Whether they favored the packable aspect, the lightness of weight, or just the look of the visor, who knows. As long as they wore the cap with a stiffener (if not in the Army Air Force) they were within the regulations.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...