A source for excellent repros of WW2 USN squadron patches

As a collector of identified medals, when I display them I like to place with the medals the corresponding unit patches. It adds color, a visual appeal, and most of all reflects the unit of the person, in many cases units which are easily identifiable to those who care to know or served in or alongside those outfits. It is easily enough done for most ground units but often very difficult to do for WW2 era aviation units from the Army Air Corps, Navy, and USMC. Original squadron patches are nearly impossible to find most often, and when found are quite expensive, often priced as high as or higher than the medals. With that said, another obstacle can be identifying if a unit patch – squadron patches basically – ever existed at all, and if so, what it ever looked like. In the case of squadron patches for some USN and USMC units, no known examples exist, or are not definitively known.

With that said, I was looking for a copy of the patch for VT-5, a US Navy squadron. Earlier in WW2 their patch was fairly well known and I think reasonably well noted. Later war was a different story. By the time early 1945 came around from what I could find VT-5 had changed their patch design so that it was somewhat different from their earlier war patch. I needed an early 1945 VT-5 patch for a display from the USS Franklin when it was crashed by a kamikaze in March 1945. I could not find that early 1945 version for sale anywhere but did find a couple reasonably clear pictures of it. I then checked around and found no one selling repros of that version. I found a couple sellers on eBay who were selling repro squadron patches though. I contacted two of them, the ones who seemed to have the best, nicest patches, and heard back from both. One said he did not do custom work, one said he did. I messaged back and forth with the seller who said he could and did do custom work, I sent him pics of what I was looking for, he said to give him a couple weeks to work on it, then he got back to me.

He had created an excellent reproduction of the early 1945 patch for VT-5 for me. And best of all, shipped to my door cost me…. Under $25.00 !! The emblem was done on a decal after he made the artwork of the patch design, he then placed the decal on to leather, then at my request aged it. He marks the back with his emblem and year stamp too, so one knows the history.

The seller / creator is eBay user ID iburkard and his name is Ian.

So here is a referral to and for iburkard, and recognition of some excellent work. I would highly recommend his work to anyone, contact him through eBay, if he wants to, he can post his info here or a friend of his and fellow Forum member can on his behalf too if he wishes too.

The pics are of the VT-5 patch he did for me, it will go in a display case with the killed in action Purple Heart of a VT-5 aerial gunner killed on board the USS Franklin, likely while in his TBM Avenger and waiting to be launched on a strike mission when the kamikaze struck.

post-440-0-81474000-1403371533.jpg

post-440-0-63106300-1403371539.jpg

post-440-0-82623600-1403371545.jpg

A very nice job...and kudos to him as he is prepared to mark and date his creations accordingly.

Not sure how well it will hold up, for a display case it will be fine tho.

Had not seen your patches - I just checked them out tho, NICE!

Cost was a big factor for me, for a display case use I did not want to spend too much. I saw some repro patches which were over $100. I just couldn't justify that much for what I am going to use mine for.

I imagine that the hand painted ones are significantly higher, not surprisingly due to the amount of work that has to go in to them.

Johnny Signor

I only charge $50.00 each/total including postage "regardless" of unit Sqd/Group , WW2 era USAAF/USN/USMC your choice of mentioned types, also make the smaller Numbered AAF types like the 8th etc ,$30.00 each/total.................

Thanks for looking at my images , yeah for just a display shadow box the decal type would be fine , it's a nicely done one too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny