WWII POW Diary 101st AIRBORNE GLIDER RIDER " A Wartime Log"

KASTAUFFER

Those of you who know me are familiar with my quest to obtain YMCA " A Wartime Log" diaries. I am up to 14 of them now and am always looking for more. These diaries provide one of the best glimpses into POW life during WWII that can be found.

This is the first one I have found to an Airborne soldier. It was purchased from a very gracious forum member.

The owner of this diary was a member of the 401st Glider Infantry Regiment when he was captured 9/23/44 in Holland. From what I can tell he was also a Normandy veteran. I don't have the Airborne resources some of the other members of the forum have and I would love to know for sure.

From his diary it almost seems he may have been a member of the 325th Glider Infantry in the 82nd Airborne Division at one time. Again, I do not know for sure.

I have not taken pictures of everything in the diary, but mainly the artwork. It has some very interesting examples in it!

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

I think Apple is to blame for the pics! On my PC they are right side up. On my IPhone upside down.

Kurt

Your posted YMCA - POW log is the first I've seen with such detailed artistry. I now understand the strong desire to collect and preserve these books. Thank you for sharing...

Great job of displaying this WW2 classic piece of history.Thank you for showing it.Best Scotty

Very nice! Thanks for the photos. I agree that these are really great pieces of history and a great look at a POW's experience. I actually landed my first one not long ago. It belonged to a 8th AAF fighter pilot.

JD

Very niice and rare. I have only seen a handfull of logs to airnorne pows and this is the first from an airborne glider pow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
StaceysPOWProject

Really interesting to look at! Did he offer any more detail about the blower stove? He has a detailed drawing of a fairly advanced model there, and then an image of three men using them.

• 3 years later...