Fake Bombardier Wings

robert60446

robert60446

Hi guys,

Well, what is your take on these Bombardier Wings? It looks to me like a Meyer product, but lacks Meyer shield... think.gif

post-2829-1213132177.jpg

robert60446

As you can see, this example was only silver-plated...only few spots left with finish still in place...

post-2829-1213132400.jpg

I agree, it doesnt look all that good.

The patina and wear makes no sense. It looks an awful lot like someone took a buffing wheel to the back of this wing. Then to disquise the effects of that, they chemically treated the wing to make it look old. Your photos are usually pretty good, so I am assuming that the color we see is pretty close to real. Sterling doesnt get this kind of brownish red patina on it by age, BUT you do see it with chemical reactions. Then to try to "blend" the results, it looks like they ran the whole thing over the buffing wheel again, unnaturally removing all original frosted silver finish. In fact, this wing looks to be silver plated brass NOT sterling silver, so that is another huge warning flag.

The pin and catch also are wrong for an NS Meyer wing.

All together, I think a bad bit of crappolla.

Patrick

robert60446

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct, as i said this badge was only silver-plated coated. It is simple "bronze metal" with silver paint on it...

John Cooper

Robert,

I can not tell from the photos but does it show any since under close inspection of being cast or maybe a die-struck copy? There was at least one company in New York that made die-struck wings and used nickle plate to cover them. They were sold as reproductions... I have yet to find one since i would like an example to look at.

BTW they used original dies although I do not know the specifics.

John

robert60446

John, details are superb and there are no casting marks. I'm 100% positive this badge was made from very well made die.

This is an odd one, the sterling hallmark isn't where is usually is on the Meyer re-strikes, and the hardware is soldiered, unlike all the new ones, maybe an early re-strike.