Early Sunday Punchers Helmet Help

boxerdogi

This helmet belonged Charles Sader Curtis who was a Commander of VA-75 in 59'-60' flying Skyraiders. He was also a WWII vet flying Corsairs, and a Korea vet with VC-35. He was also a Deck Commander with VA-75 on the USS Kitty Hawk during the 67'-68' cruise flying Intruders.....Pretty nice older setup. Can any of you guys help add to or adjust the history? Many thanks!

post-3075-0-19378700-1403295656.jpg

Looks to be an early Navy model APH-5 helmet with an MS-22001 mask that has the Hardman adapter assembly and the matching "christmas tree" fittings and receivers on the helmet. Mask also has a MC-3 type hose fitting. Looks pretty good for its age being probably very ear;y 60s

Very nice helmet. Such vintage personalized APH-5 are quite rare. Is it complete with inner pads and radio equipments?

Franck

• 7 years later...

So fun fact, Charles Sader Curtis was my grandfather, and I grew up with that helmet and his flight suit in my room. When I left home, my parents got rid of these things, and I never knew what happened to them. When I looked up his name on google, you can imagine my surprise to see this helmet again. Tons of emotions and memories of sitting with him listening to stories about the Kittyhawk, his time as a pilot, and the Navy. May I ask how you came to own this helmet? I'm not asking that it be returned, only to know what journey it's been on since it was in my keeping as a child. 

• 2 weeks later...
VA-75 Puncher

....wow,what are the odds!?😮....I had the honor of serving with the VA-75 Sunday Punchers 1972-76 after they transitioned from the Skyraiders to A-6 Intruders...wish I still had my flight helmet😁...I did manage to save some militaria from those days though.....always had a special soft spot for Spads....even made a 1/32 scale model in Puncher colors and markings your grandfather's plane may have looked similiar-except they were later on the Saratoga...

On 10/19/2021 at 7:09 AM, Dpa1001 said:

So fun fact, Charles Sader Curtis was my grandfather, and I grew up with that helmet and his flight suit in my room. When I left home, my parents got rid of these things, and I never knew what happened to them. When I looked up his name on google, you can imagine my surprise to see this helmet again. Tons of emotions and memories of sitting with him listening to stories about the Kittyhawk, his time as a pilot, and the Navy. May I ask how you came to own this helmet? I'm not asking that it be returned, only to know what journey it's been on since it was in my keeping as a child. 

20191202_170219.jpg

Puncher I would love to see more pictures of your model.

Post them in the model section if you so choose.

You have incredible skills and your attention to detail makes it look like real life. Thanks 

VA-75 Puncher

....why thank you...I am trying to get back into the swing of it since I havent done any models for around 30 years.....now that I'm retired there is a bit more time to play that I didnt have with work,raising kids,life in general...😄....only discovered this forum recently while googling info to try and ID a couple M-1 helmets I picked up.....and being a newbie here,I didnt realize there was a model section😮😆