Hello,

I am new here and have always had an interest in the Spanish American War and Theodore Roosevelt. I recently acquired this piece. I believe it to be a uniform button from the volunteer regiments of that war. I know it was a common practice for soldiers to give away their buttons. This one was found in Florida. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

post-153432-0-87042100-1403215609.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

photo-thumb-144660.jpg?_r=1385497925 I think what you have is a private purchase lapel button. I have a similar looking button in my collection, one of the many trinkets and souvenirs that were produced during the Spanish-American War to cash in on the events that were taking place during that time.

I agree with Flyboy. It could also be a veterans lapel button. Can you post a picture of the reverse side? Is it a screw-on back? Are there maker's marks?

Pete

Yankee Trader Relics

Agree - lapel button. USV Veterans item. This one is very interesting. Pictures of the back and any makers marks helpful. Thanks for sharing.

• 6 months later...

Yup, lapel button (typically worn in/through a buttonhole). I don't know when they started or how long they lasted, but I've seen several different WWI and WWII ones.