Muzzleloader WW2 8” howitzer?

This is downright odd. Looks to me like a welded up M115: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzdQq1YwE0A&feature=youtu.be

Look at all the blowback through the breech when it goes off. Lots of stuff on that gun not working like it’s supposed to be, I bet the recoil mechanism doesn’t work either.

So many safety issues in that video, I don't have time to list them all... :huh:

Looks like the breech block opened up to say "hi"

Per the comments on the youtube page, the guy who posted the vid said that all that escaped through a portion of the hinges to the breech block. That, in my mind, strongly suggests the block is welded shut. That would also suggest maybe the breech ring was removed or something very odd was done to the block at some point because nothing should be venting out through the breech if it's closed!

If it wasnt altered how or what forms of permits and licenses would you have to have??

I cant imagine just a standard type destructive type license would cover a (fairly modern) field artillery piece and cant imagine the BATF or other entities would even let this out if not de-milled or made in operable for standard artillery ammunition.

Cobrahistorian

My hunch is, this was a former VFW piece that someone "purchased". Natural selection in progress there. Holy crap that's dangerous...

The Meatcan

would this be the same 8" howitzer that was mounted in a modified Sherman chassis to make the M-43 8" self-propelled howitzer?

I'm assuming so but you know how that goes... ;)

Terry

I hadn't watched a few key points in the vid. It has a working breech block but I think they side-stepped the ATF by not having a working breech ring. How he got a working block, baffles me...

Looks like the breech block opened up to say "hi"

I concur, looks like it blew out the percussion cartridge hole and swung the breech hinge mechanism away.