Unknown Pocket Badge Worn By General Officer. Possibly Foreign?

seanmc1114

This is Major General Daniel Harrison Hudelson at the time he commanded the 40th Infantry Division of the California National Guard. He served as commander of that division during its federalization and deployment to Korea during the Korean War. He previously served in the 14th Armored Division in Europe during World War II.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=67386539

I am curious to know what the badge is on his left breast pocket. I assume it is a foreign award of some sort but what? From WWII or Korea? Or possible a National Guard award? If I had to guess, I would say French.

post-1761-0-77011500-1403186972.jpg

Although this doesn't answer what the badge is, I think this picture narrows it down to his World War II service. Following is a photo of Major General Albert Smith, the WWII commander of the 14th Armored Division, wearing the same badge, although in a different position on his uniform.

post-1761-0-88206700-1403187385.jpg

It was identified in a thread that had a photo of Patton wearing the same badge. Think it is an honorary badge conferred by a French / North African regiment or other unit. Can't find the thread.

The 14th Armd Div was not a part of the 3rd Army as stated in Hudelson's obit, but rather in 7th Army. The 14th Armd seen alot of combat in The Vosges and The Alsace, so too French colonial units of the French 1st Army, it's possible then the he was awarded this badge by the a French North African unit his own unit fought alonside with or in the general area. Like 12A54 I too seem to remember a topic on this, can't find it either

Appears to the Moroccan Goumiers badge. The Goumiers were auxiliary units attached to the French army of Africa.

This is a Kumia dagger of the Moroccan units of the Army of Africa. MG Hudelson is a honorary Moroccan Goumier.

• 9 months later...

It was identified in a thread that had a photo of Patton wearing the same badge. Think it is an honorary badge conferred by a French / North African regiment or other unit. Can't find the thread.

Is this the photo you are talking about?

"The generals wait for the President. L-R: Gen. Paul William [Paul Langdon Williams, 1894-1968], C/G 12th Troop Carrier Command, Gen. George S. Patton, C/G 7th Army, Gen. Henry H. “Hap” Arnold, Chief of Air Forces, Gen. Mark W. Clark, C/G 5th Army, at the Castelvetrano airport, Sicily awaiting the arrival of President Roosevelt.” Castelvetrano, Sicily, Italy. 10 December 1943"

post-1761-0-53536400-1428690937.jpg

• 1 year later...
Jamecharles

Good day everyone , I can't understand what is the 1st medal on the last raw of ribbons.

can you please help me?

Giancarlo

Good day everyone , I can't understand what is the 1st medal on the last raw of ribbons.

can you please help me?

Giancarlo

Which photo Jamescharles???

Jamecharles

any clue about 1st medal on the last raw of ribbons.?

Because I've the dress and I would like to complete it.

Giancarlo

The California Service Medal, followed by the California National Guard Federal Service ribbon.

Jamecharles

I've take a look around and looks like it's more similar to the California Service cross medal, I'll try to arrange some photos of the blue dress set I've in my collection ;)

GS

Jamecharles

here we are, ribbons CIB and Distinguished badge will be mounted soon the same for the Moroccan Goumiers badge ;)
By the way please enjoy the last arrival in collection :)

GS

post-770-0-00699900-1464030915.jpg

post-770-0-86855500-1464030957.jpg

MG Hudelson is a honorary Moroccan Goumier.

That's not much of an honor. The Goumiers did some disgusting stuff.

Looks like Hudelson and the Goumiers both fought in Operation Nordwind in France (December 1944). That's probably where he received the device.

Jamecharles

hello again I've another question, the distinguished badge of Hudelson is rifle badge or pistol badge ?

thank you all again

Giancarlo