"No 16 Can" Can for what

Chap15

Was this a standard can during WWII?

This can was in a chaplain's kit. I recently saw the same type of kit with the same type of can.

I am wondering if this was an original part of the kit, or did the chaplain(s) just happen to pick up the same type of can.

post-1429-0-98597700-1403151499.jpg

post-1429-0-82219900-1403151509.jpg

Here is the can from the other kit. I can't confirm it is the same can, but it sure looks like it.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,

post-1429-0-39098900-1403151656.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

can't say for offical but it looks like the can communion wafers might have been stored in.

Johnny Signor

I was thinking communion wafers , but isn't it a little large for those .................................

Maybe a rosary container

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

no offence intended having had and sold many rosaries, if it were a rosary container, it would have had to been for multiple rosaries.

The container could hold large hosts (the kind the priest breaks) and or small hosts. I don't think it would hold rosaries.

Good input from all.

Thanks,

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

to be honest i was kind of thinking that way, while im not catholic when i was in the army sometimes i would go to the catholic services and it seamed he would break them into 4 pieces.oh btw looked at some of your chap. collection that is a awesome selection. i only have a couple of chap. items

It looks to me to be a WWII GI coffee container for instant coffee and the No.16 is the ounce size. What a better way to vist with the Chaplain with a cup of Joe!

Craig

Chap15,

This is a 1941 C rations contents on the lower right is the instant coffee container, it's not as tall as yours but yours could be for a squad or platoon. I'll try to look for other photos.

Craig

post-7997-0-44662300-1403222847.jpg

As Chap 15 said the same tin container was found in two different chaplain kits not for sure about a film tin Danny? It could had also been used as a instant power drink container for Holy Communion when wine wasn't present.

Craig