M1A1 Thompson SMG

Sabrejet

I recently got my Tommy Gun out to give it a periodic oiling / dusting and decided to take some fresh pics. It's in pretty "minty" condition, but this being the UK, it's de-activated, hence the official govt. proof-house marks you'll see stamped into the receiver. It won't fire, but it does everything else!

post-8022-0-70123000-1403018396.jpg

post-8022-0-15504000-1403018398.jpg

TheGrayGhost

That is a very nice looking Thompson, thanks for sharing Ian! Seems we have some different rules here in the US, what does the UK do to de-activate the gun?

Thanks guys. Well...as I've explained previously on the forum, there is what we call "old spec" and "new spec". Old spec weapons such as mine, usually have a rod welded into the barrel, and the barrel spot welded to the receiver so it can't be replaced. Everything else works...stripping, cocking, dry firing etc. When the law was tightened up several years ago, moving parts were spot-welded thus creating "new spec". Weapons in this current category can no longer be stripped and cocked etc. This has made "old spec" weapons even more desirable among collectors and prices reflect this. For example, my Tommy would cost $1000 minimum today...a whole lot more than I paid for it back in the 90s! Fortunately, all of my WW2 US firearms are in this category! :)

TheGrayGhost

Thanks for the explanation. Wish the laws in the US were closer to the UKs, less destruction more preservation.

Beautiful piece!

Wow,thats a beauty.How I love these Thompson SMG's.One of the real classic guns.Thanks for sharing

doughboy

YankeeSpirit76

Costa,

"Here in the US we can't have that"...really? You can have one, even fully automatic if you get your FFA $200.00 stamp from the Feds, or have a class 3 FFL.

Great post and great pics!

I'll second what YankeeSpirit76 said... yes, you can have them here in the U.S..... they just need to be registered and pay the $200 tax stamp fee for the "full auto" version or be a Class 03 FFL holder. If you want to pass on the full auto, Thompson does make a semi-auto version that does not require a tax stamp. It shoots just like any other semi-auto weapon (state laws apply). Third choice, would be a de-wat'd, demilled, or deactiveated example where the receiver has been made inoperable (welded. filled, cut, etc..).

TheGrayGhost

Costa,

"Here in the US we can't have that"...really? You can have one, even fully automatic if you get your FFA $200.00 stamp from the Feds, or have a class 3 FFL.

And about $20,000+ for an original gun...

Still haven't convinced the wife on that one.

Thanks for the explanation. Wish the laws in the US were closer to the UKs, less destruction more preservation.

Beautiful piece!

Respectfully, the US laws are much more permissive in this regard. I see Tommy gun kits for sale, minus receiver. Buy one and all you need is a demilled or solid receiver and you have your display peice.

IMA has them from time to time. In fact they have one right now, a full Tommy but with an aluminum receiver. It is less than 1300 USD.

They also have a few display receivers. In addition they have original de-milled receivers. Also internal parts kits, buttstocks...

Interesting. I hadn't realized how "difficult" it is to obtain a bona fide Thompson in the US, given your otherwise extremely liberal gun laws!

Morning Ian,

That's a beautiful gun indeed...

Is it parkerized?

All good wishes,

Dominique

Bonjour Dominique! Oui, mon ami.

Oh the pain of it all. Its like getting your nuts snipped. A Thompson can be had by any non felon in the US. You just have to pay the tax and then be able to afford the gun and then the ammo to feed her.

Oh the pain of it all. Its like getting your nuts snipped. A Thompson can be had by any non felon in the US. You just have to pay the tax and then be able to afford the gun and then the ammo to feed her.

I feel your pain! :D

M24 Chaffee

Very nice Thompson and Thompson stuff! An indoor range near me offered a rental to shoot a Thompson. Unfortunately they've since discontinued the offer. My friend and I did have the opportunity to rent and shoot it before they discontinued. It was big fun! I saved the target. Great piece for your collection.

Frank

• 5 weeks later...

ian--- beautiful--- here in the u.s. we cant have that. its stupid---- I would love to have 1 as a display piece.

Geez, I thought in America you guys can basically own any kind of gun!

Government Issue

Ian, that's a beautiful Chicago typewriter you have. My Pop wants to acquire a live class III Tommy someday and he usually has me look around at ones available for purchase online. I can only attest to what others have said about certain legislation here in the US and it's not an easy thing to do, but far better than what Europe allows. The $200 tax stamp hasn't changed since FDR instituted it but there's additional stuff an individual has to go through before and after acquiring the weapon, and then there is state law. Times have definitely changed since when you could buy one in your local hardware store and that's no joke. If you can find one legally and when you do they definitely do not look as nice as yours! $20,000 gets you a live full auto that's been refinished, reworked, ect. If your going to get a live Tommy the only way is for it to be transferable firearm. Go Curio & Relic, too.

Anyway enough of my babbling and back to your baby!

That has to be one of the nicest examples of an M1A1 I've seen. There's hardly any wear on the parkerized finish of the weapon, no scratches, no handling whatsoever. Absolutely beautiful example and I doubt it was issued, too. The SN around 800000 looks to place time of production anywhere from late '43 to the end of production in Feb '44. All in all great weapon, shame it's a dud, but being unifiable has preserved that M1A1 beautifully! Looks as if it came right from factory. Makes me cringe when I think how many ended up in the states in that nice of shape only to have Uncle "Bubba" shoot the hell out of them!

Do you know any of the background on this Thompson? You've probably heard so much on the process of acquiring a firearm in the States on the forum and I'm curious on the laws you have across the pond and the process of just acquiring a deactivated firearm?