First Special Service Force on Ebay (Has the world gone crazy?)

zotig111

All,

Just saw this FSSF patch on Ebay. It is the standard FSSF patch, not theater made, not ID'd to Patton, nothing special. Any idea why it has 31 bids and is at $242?

Must be nice to get a bidding war on your item...

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWII-FIRST-SPECIAL-SERVICE-FORCE-FSSF-PATCH-DEVILS-BRIGADE-WW2-ORIGINAL-/291166204355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cadbb1c3

post-8230-0-42213100-1403013687.jpg

post-8230-0-59724900-1403013694.jpg

Forgot to mention that at least it is the real deal. Here is a perfect example of why research pays off. They could check any of the militaria sites and find them selling for $100.

Forgot to mention that at least it is the real deal. Here is a perfect example of why research pays off. They could check any of the militaria sites and find them selling for $100.

Except people on ebay are usually lazy to check, or they "can't" find it anywhere else and $242 seems like a bargain :D

Makes me wish I was selling that one.

It is most likely because this one appears to be "uniform" removed that is whats driving up the price. It looks like a few others that are used/dirty and very loosely attributed have realized similiar prices lately. Standard unused ones generally seem to end at LESS than $100 when auctioned.

Many collectors assume (often wrongly) that this makes it more real, with an unused example most likely being a so-called "patch king". There are two things wrong with this view however. First, it could be removed from ANYTHING, not necessarily the field jacket of a Force member. Second, the patches sold to collectors during and shortly after WWII were made by the same companies that sold them the Army and to soldiers.

It really all boils down to collector preference, with some folks drawn towards the dirty used patch that more likely has seen something (however just as likley the wall of a smoky VFW wall rather than a battlefield).

-Vance

So, in other words I should sew patches on a uniform and remove them before selling them?

I knew a guy who used to do just that. He'd sew a bunch of NOS WW2 patches onto an old khaki shirt using WW2 thread from a sewing kit, then remove them. Why? Because he preferred the "uniform removed" look. True story!

Seen a few sell for $65 and less lately.This is ebay and with shill bids etc and not knowing if the item actually gets paid for

• 3 weeks later...
Eric Queen

How about this one Ron? $320 so far with two (2) days to go....

I think that is a bit crazy but certainly do understand why examples which show true/natural wear (not just evidence of having been sewed onto "something") will demand a much higher premium than the common unused/mint examples. How much should that premium be (2X, 3X)? Who knows. I guess the market will decide that.

fdsgsd x.jpg

WorldWarPatches

Many items that sell on fee bay are just ego's showing that their wallet is bigger. I have collectors that want nothing but used and others that only want mint.

Wow, the original I had sold for less than $100.00. As mentioned, I think this is a combination of lazy and impatient bidders who don't want to look or wait.

vintageproductions

No it is like Eric said, some collectors what the true used pieces not unworn.

How about this one Ron? $320 so far with two (2) days to go....

I think that is a bit crazy but certainly do understand why examples which show true/natural wear (not just evidence of having been sewed onto "something") will demand a much higher premium than the common unused/mint examples. How much should that premium be (2X, 3X)? Who knows. I guess the market will decide that.

:blink:

manayunkman

Yes worn pieces ( same with German ) and sanity put aside because any piece can be made to look worn.

I should know as I have been accused of "being handy with a needle and thread."

The big rip off that I am. :rolleyes::lol:

Patchcollector

My goal has been to get both a mint condition and a "salty" example of each patch for my collection.It's the best of both worlds :)

"Used" doesn't necessarily mean "worn on a uniform." Very easily could have been on a patch blanket. The one pictured is the much scarcer fat bottom type (not the usually encountered Patch King version), but wouldn't have figured it going for that much.

"Used" doesn't necessarily mean "worn on a uniform." Very easily could have been on a patch blanket. The one pictured is the much scarcer fat bottom type (not the usually encountered Patch King version), but wouldn't have figured it going for that much.

My sentiments exactly! Valuing a patch higher if it is worn is pretty silly IMHO. Blanket patches must be going for a mint, right?

-Ski

Eric Queen

My sentiments exactly! Valuing a patch higher if it is worn is pretty silly IMHO. Blanket patches must be going for a mint, right?

-Ski

A lot of collectors view it differently but that is why each collects in his own way I guess. I personally do not believe that the patch in question was taken off a blanket but, again, everyone is welcome to believe what they will. I do not believe that a majority of "used/sewn" patches came off of blankets. Not sure if the fact that it's a Type 4 patch had much to do with the hammer price or not. Guess we will never know.