William Link Co of Newark, NJ: examples and patterns

• 3 weeks later...
rathbonemuseum.com

A fortunate find coming from a poorly described wing that ended up being much better than I could have imagined. A rare William Link & Co pattern observer wing!

10441925_10152424247050380_3861689154642824133_n.jpg

1512532_10152424247055380_3539425945031028281_n.jpg

Those are a very detailed set of beautiful wing's.

How do you know they are William Link & Co? I don't see the W Co mark. Are there any proof marks on the pin?

Semper Fi

Phil

rathbonemuseum.com

The only way I know is that I sent it to Cliff Presley. After consulting the Cliff Notes, he came back with the answer that it was a Wm Link pattern. I have no other resource to refer to. However I trust Cliff's vast knowledge on this subject.

Well I guess Cliff would be the Go To Guy on wings. I also want to throw out a compliment on you site Tod. AWESOME!!!!! I got that saved to my Fav's!

Semper Fi

Phil

rathbonemuseum.com

Thanks everyone. I sent it to Bob to put on his site for posterity. And thanks for the compliments on the website. Working on getting it updated.

• 1 month later...
rathbonemuseum.com

A few weeks ago I found a great Link observer badge with the detailed feather pattern. This week I was fortunate enough to add a similarly patterned Link Airship wing to it.

LinkAirshipObv.jpg

LinkAirshipRev.jpg

Geez Tod I don't know how the heck you keep finding these things! I've never even seen one for sale before. You've got to be one of the luckiest wing collectors out there. Congrats.

rathbonemuseum.com

Hi Mike. No. Just obsessive searching. Seriously. Thanks.

Oh, and having other people on this forum who can help me separate the wheat from the chaff.

HI Tod,

Any chance of a shot of the top edge of the wing and a close up of the balloon?

Regards

Mike

Austin_Militaria

Last week I picked up another wing to add to this thread.

It falls into the Amcraft style that Mel pointed out in the beginning of the discussion.

What is very unique about this one is that it has screw post fasteners on the back.

These narrow type of screw posts are normally seen on 1920's-mid 1930's era collar brass.

It is clearly done by the manufacturer, yet I don't think I have ever seen this on a post WWI wing.

John

I hate to say this but I don't think that wing is a vintage piece. Looking at how the back is finished and the posts are added does not look right. Also the patina color of the front of the wing does not look right either.

Austin_Militaria

These balloon wings don’t look good to me. The silver color is off, lacking patina/age. The back and edges are not finished out correctly and seems to be some lack of detail in the airship. Just my two cents.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this Link

Airship wing badge.

It appears to have been cleaned at some point, which

would account for the lack of patina, but it shows all

the attributes that a badge of this type should have

Best, John