Rare Patches - Bring Out Some Photos

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a pair to a local veteran. Mars Task Force and the 173rd Truck Bn. The 173rd is somewhat unique in my opinion. See reverse photo, both patches utilize the British style poppers to remove from uniform for cleaning. I should add that both patches appear to be made by the same hand...........thanks.

post-758-0-23224500-1575567364_thumb.jpg

donation2017.gif

Have not seen the 173rd in bullion. Interesting - the campaign credit register shows a 173rd QM Bn......does not mention "Truck" - same unit, I guess Truck looks better than QM...

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

Have not seen the 173rd in bullion. Interesting - the campaign credit register shows a 173rd QM Bn......does not mention "Truck" - same unit, I guess Truck looks better than QM...

Yes I had seen that also. A Qm Truck Bn. Truck works better with Hell Drivers. His discharge mentions the Ledo Road.

donation2017.gif

Have same unit patch as above but as a giant back jacket patch and has further designation as Company.

No, the company was an element of the battalion.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

ASMIC Executive VP

3rd Combat Engineers, Japanese made. The beaver is holding an Aussie fighting knife.

attachicon.gifrsz_0104151135a.jpg

Or you could just just show the whole piece that patch is part of.......It's a killer.....

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 3 weeks later...

ASMIC members know I have an interest in military railway service (MRS) insignia, both WW 2 and Korea. The MRS was Army train units, mostly consisting of separate battalions. In KW, the battalions were prefixed by "T" for Transportation. Here are two patches from the same TROB - 712th. Each has their own merits, but the bullion one came with a great surprise - if you look closely, you can see the locomotive number "2034" on each of the running lights at the top. I have a color photo of THAT locomotive running in Korea. The patch came w/ the vet's dog tags and two medals.

post-622-0-43898800-1577643036.jpg

post-622-0-90506000-1577643060.jpg

Member, ASMIC.

ASMIC Executive VP

ASMIC members know I have an interest in military railway service (MRS) insignia, both WW 2 and Korea. The MRS was Army train units, mostly consisting of separate battalions. In KW, the battalions were prefixed by "T" for Transportation. Here are two patches from the same TROB - 712th. Each has their own merits, but the bullion one came with a great surprise - if you look closely, you can see the locomotive number "2034" on each of the running lights at the top. I have a color photo of THAT locomotive running in Korea. The patch came w/ the vet's dog tags and two medals.

Those are beautiful pieces tredhed2. Congratulations!

Wanted: Documented WW I 2nd Division Purple Hearts (♥).

My best find of the year. Alamo Scout patch that I purchased from the Veteran's grandson- along with vets full name- he also gave me copies of period un published photos of his grandfather and a letter stating such -not posting vet's name out of respect for the family request[-it's in tough shape but that's from being handled for a lot of years.

post-30395-0-91455100-1577645543.jpg

post-30395-0-70401600-1577645548.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 1 month later...
US NAVAL AIR MISSILE TEST CENTER, Point Mugu, California - Gemsco 1950's
Mugu beach is believed to be the site where Juan Cabrillo landed on October 10, 1542. "Muwu" was the capital village of the Chumash Indians located along the shores of Mugu Lagoon. Most of its early history centers around ranching, farming, and the famous Mugu fish camp.
The history of most of the Navy's Guided Missile and Drone programs is the early history of the Navy at Point Mugu. During World War II, the Navy simultaneously had efforts underway to develop sites where both missiles and pilotless aircraft could be tested. In 1947, Congress appropriated funding to establish a permanent Navy presence here for this purpose. Since the mid-1940's, Point Mugu has had several "Center Names", all with the mission to develop, test, and evaluate missiles and related systems, and for drones to use in naval test programs. Oct 1, 1946 - U.S. Naval Air Missile Test Center Aug 1, 1949 - Naval Air Station Jun 16, 1958 - Pacific Missile Range Jan 7, 1959 - Naval Missile Center Apr 26, 1975 - Pacific Missile Test Center Jan 21, 1992 - Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division and Naval Air Weapons Station
Source: Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields - Naval Air Weapons Station, Point Mugu
(Antiaircraft Training Center, Pt Mugu; Naval Air Station, Point Mugu;Naval Air Missile Test Center; Pacific Missile Range, Naval Missile Center; Pacific Missile Test Center; Channel Islands Air National Guard Base)

"The history of most of the Navy's Guided Missile and Drone programs is the early history of the Navy at Point Mugu."

Drones baby, Drones, they ain't new, the Navy's had them since the 1940's......and the first Dogfighters too.....

US NAVAL AIR MISSILE TEST CENTER DRONES Point Mugu CA Gemsco 001.jpg

US NAVAL AIR MISSILE TEST CENTER DRONES Point Mugu CA Gemsco 002.jpg