Rare Patches - Bring Out Some Photos

Airborne-Hunter

Yes exactly right,they used the silhouette of the V1 rocket in design. This to me is one of the rarest AA patches around.

There’s a thread on that patch

vintageproductions

3rd Combat Engineers, Japanese made. The beaver is holding an Aussie fighting knife.

attachicon.gifrsz_0104151135a.jpg

Or you could just just show the whole piece that patch is part of.......It's a killer.....

• 3 weeks later...

ASMIC members know I have an interest in military railway service (MRS) insignia, both WW 2 and Korea. The MRS was Army train units, mostly consisting of separate battalions. In KW, the battalions were prefixed by "T" for Transportation. Here are two patches from the same TROB - 712th. Each has their own merits, but the bullion one came with a great surprise - if you look closely, you can see the locomotive number "2034" on each of the running lights at the top. I have a color photo of THAT locomotive running in Korea. The patch came w/ the vet's dog tags and two medals.

post-622-0-43898800-1577643036.jpg

post-622-0-90506000-1577643060.jpg

Rats of Tobruk

ASMIC members know I have an interest in military railway service (MRS) insignia, both WW 2 and Korea. The MRS was Army train units, mostly consisting of separate battalions. In KW, the battalions were prefixed by "T" for Transportation. Here are two patches from the same TROB - 712th. Each has their own merits, but the bullion one came with a great surprise - if you look closely, you can see the locomotive number "2034" on each of the running lights at the top. I have a color photo of THAT locomotive running in Korea. The patch came w/ the vet's dog tags and two medals.

Those are beautiful pieces tredhed2. Congratulations!

My best find of the year. Alamo Scout patch that I purchased from the Veteran's grandson- along with vets full name- he also gave me copies of period un published photos of his grandfather and a letter stating such -not posting vet's name out of respect for the family request[-it's in tough shape but that's from being handled for a lot of years.

post-30395-0-91455100-1577645543.jpg

post-30395-0-70401600-1577645548.jpg

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor
US NAVAL AIR MISSILE TEST CENTER, Point Mugu, California - Gemsco 1950's

Mugu beach is believed to be the site where Juan Cabrillo landed on October 10, 1542. "Muwu" was the capital village of the Chumash Indians located along the shores of Mugu Lagoon. Most of its early history centers around ranching, farming, and the famous Mugu fish camp.

post-2322-0-51950300-1580668926.jpg

The history of most of the Navy's Guided Missile and Drone programs is the early history of the Navy at Point Mugu. During World War II, the Navy simultaneously had efforts underway to develop sites where both missiles and pilotless aircraft could be tested. In 1947, Congress appropriated funding to establish a permanent Navy presence here for this purpose. Since the mid-1940's, Point Mugu has had several "Center Names", all with the mission to develop, test, and evaluate missiles and related systems, and for drones to use in naval test programs. Oct 1, 1946 - U.S. Naval Air Missile Test Center Aug 1, 1949 - Naval Air Station Jun 16, 1958 - Pacific Missile Range Jan 7, 1959 - Naval Missile Center Apr 26, 1975 - Pacific Missile Test Center Jan 21, 1992 - Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division and Naval Air Weapons Station

Source: Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields - Naval Air Weapons Station, Point Mugu
(Antiaircraft Training Center, Pt Mugu; Naval Air Station, Point Mugu;Naval Air Missile Test Center; Pacific Missile Range, Naval Missile Center; Pacific Missile Test Center; Channel Islands Air National Guard Base)

"The history of most of the Navy's Guided Missile and Drone programs is the early history of the Navy at Point Mugu."

Drones baby, Drones, they ain't new, the Navy's had them since the 1940's......and the first Dogfighters too.....

US NAVAL AIR MISSILE TEST CENTER DRONES Point Mugu CA Gemsco 001.jpg

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Shhhh! We're a "Technical Research Ship"

USNS KELLAR (T-AGS-25) Survey ship finally placed into service in 1969.

post-2322-0-65128100-1584155618.jpg

She was a hard luck ship with a reputation for disaster. Put out to bid for conversion in 1960, she was tied up in contract disputes and shipyard strikes for so long that the government cancelled the contracts and towed her uncompleted hull to New Orleans where she was then put out for rebidding and reconstruction. On September 9th, 1965 she was directly in the path of Hurricane Betsy while tied up at the Naval Station. She was rammed, holed and torn loose from her moorings after being struck by a crane barge and several merchantmen. Set adrift in the Mississippi, she rolled over and sank in the channel necessitating a major salvage recovery project and major remediation to repair her hull and equipment.

post-2322-0-05268400-1584155645.jpg

Resurrection of the Small Surveying Ship USS KELLAR (TAGS-25) https://www.navsea.n...R (TAGS 25).pdf

Finally re-re-re-built, she was put into service in 1969 to prowl the Pacific and specifically to spy upon the North Korean coastline in the aftermath of the Pueblo seizure.

USNS T AGS 25 USNS KELLAR 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Another "Technical Research Ship" like the Liberty, Pueblo, and USNS Kellar, the Galloping Ghost of the Korean Coast above.

post-2322-0-66760300-1584157325_thumb.jpg

USNS PRIVATE JOSE F. VALDEZ (T-AG-169) Technical Research Ship (i.e. Spy Ship) in service 1961 to 1969,

The Happy Jose The Galloping Ghost of the African Coast

post-2322-0-36503700-1584157309.jpg

Go to the link above for her very interesting service details - She was noted for her years long isolated duty deployments to Africa with rotating crews of crypto technicians. She also was in contention with the LIBERTY to be the ship sent to monitor the 1967 Six Day War and we know what happened to her......

The USNS designation indicates that the ship was manned by civilians. A crew of approximately 55 civilians operated the ship while a detachment of approximately 100 Navy personnel carried out the research operations. The Navy detachment typically included three officers; almost all enlisted men were Communications Technicians (a rating that has been renamed Cryptologic Technician). An advantage of the USNS designation is that the ship was not required to return to an American port on a regular basis. Thus the first deployment of Private Jose F. Valdez started in 1961 and she did not return to the USA until 1967.

Since the "Happy Jose" did not regularly return to the USA, the crew was rotated by flying them to a major port city in Africa, such as Cape Town. This occurred on an annual basis. The old crew would be flown back to the USA. Private Jose F. Valdez was typically at sea for about 30 days and then spent four or five days in port. Some of the sub-Saharan ports of call, from West to East, were Dakar, Senegal; Freetown, Sierra Leone; Monrovia, Liberia; Abidjan, Ivory Coast; Lagos, Nigeria; Brazzaville, Republic of Congo; Luanda, Angola; Walvis Bay, Southwest Africa (now Namibia); Cape Town, South Africa; Port Elizabeth, South Africa; Durban, South Africa; Lourenço Marques (now Maputo), Mozambique; and Mombasa, Kenya.

USNS T AG 169 PVT JOSE F VALDEZ 002.jpg

• 8 months later...

I would like to contribute my scarce (don't care for the term 'rare') shoulder sleeve and hat patch to the topic.  I traded the two in the late 1990s before Ebay.  The round patch is sewn to the overseas cap.

Larry

C-0041st Eng Reg (GS) (Cld)-F.jpg

C-0041st Engi Reg (GS) (Cld)-R.jpg

0041st Eng Regt (GS) (CLD), On Cap.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ad212dd3fc094554249c8c98c9946bce.jpg3 rare patches , first the famous bazooka patch made by nones in Italy, an oversized bullion of the 511th PIR made in japan and an oversized chenille 82nd airborne patch, all from my website; uswarspatches.com

14ea04f240c131664cca377c48390043.jpg
9f02233dd6c47c47500c4bc385b56e1e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

General Apathy

To me a couple of nice patches . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_93d3.jpeg.7da7883905ab52e962e438468b5aec32.jpeg

regards lewis.

For me a trio of nice USAAF patches . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_93d7.jpeg.edb9bf5db3e81344397e907e7ec6646d.jpeg

regards lewis.

a few more bullion patches . . . . . . . sadly moths had got to the 3rd Division patch before I bought it.

.fullsizeoutput_9503.jpeg.e7e363735885f1d506c80e6dedc87059.jpeg

cheers lewis.

Two patches for identification and dating if possible, thanks

.fullsizeoutput_9506.jpeg.00c3a8a4d236c125078738e286100cd5.jpeg

Thanks in advance, lewis

BILL THE PATCH
a few more bullion patches . . . . . . . sadly moths had got to the 3rd Division patch before I bought it.

.fullsizeoutput_9503.jpeg.e7e363735885f1d506c80e6dedc87059.jpeg

cheers lewis.

I've seen worse condition ones, yours is not that bad, nice group

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

General Apathy
58 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I've seen worse condition ones, yours is not that bad, nice group

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Hi Bill

Thank you, might be a few more to find yet as I search through the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

regards lewis.

Salvage Sailor
On 3/2/2021 at 1:16 AM, General Apathy said:

Two patches for identification and dating if possible, thanks

.fullsizeoutput_9506.jpeg.00c3a8a4d236c125078738e286100cd5.jpeg

Thanks in advance, lewis

Aloha Lewis,

What you have there are two bullion patches from the early 1960's

The first one is a Research Flight Facility (RFF) patch for the Aircraft Group of the National Hurricane Research Project (NHRP).  Note the small red hurricane symbol at center left of the patch.  RFF underwent several name changes and administrative shuffles as the Weather Bureau became part of the Environmental Science Services Administration (ESSA) in 1965 and then the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 1970.  At times, RFF operated C-54, B-26, and C-130 planes.  Today it is the Aircraft Operation Center (AOC) of NOAA’s Office of Marine and Aviation Operations. 

RFF 001.jpg

The other patch is self evident.

United States Naval Cruiser Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, also circa mid 1960's.  This command allocated available USN Cruisers and Destroyers for Cold War operations with the Atlantic (Second) and Mediterranean (Sixth) Fleets.

Here are some from my collection

ATLANTIC FLEET ASW 001.jpg

There ya go.....

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor

OPERATION SEA DRAGON - U.S. Navy and Royal Australian Navy warships steamed along the coast of North Vietnam bombarding targets ashore with their 8-inch, 6-inch, and 5-inch guns. The cruisers and destroyers shelled truck columns, bridges, and logistics craft shuttling along the shore. The enemy fought back hard. North Vietnamese coastal guns damaged 29 U.S. ships and killed or wounded 31 American Sailors.

DD 744 USS BLUE OPERATION SEA DRAGON 004.jpg

From Pacific Stars and Stripes, 1968

DD 744 USS BLUE OPERATION SEA DRAGON 006.jpg

DD 744 USS BLUE OPERATION SEA DRAGON 005.jpg

USS BLUE leading her squadron above the DMZ

uss-blue-dd-744-leading-its-destroyer-squadron.jpeg

USS BLUE (DD-744) Operation Sea Dragon

DD 744 USS BLUE OPERATION SEA DRAGON 007.jpg

.....During his tour of duty, USS Blue sunk ten boatloads of supplies and damaged eight, but came under fire seventeen times from enemy shore batteries. We never took a direct hit, but in the engine room you could hear shrapnel hitting the side of the ship, and what scared me more than a direct hit was the fact a piece of shrapnel could pierce the side of the destroyer and rupture a steam line,” said Neal.....  ‘It’s not just a job, it’s an adventure’: Serving as a Tin Can Sailor

DD 744 USS BLUE OPERATION SEA DRAGON 008.jpg

Operation Sea Dragon - Underway from 25 October 1966 through October 1968. It was conceived to interdict sea lines of communications and supplies going from North to South Vietnam, destroy land targets with gunfire support, and destroy waterborne craft. TF-77 assets were heavily involved in this. Two U.S. ships were hit in 1967 by enemy fire (each with KIA): August, Dupont (DD-941); September, Mansfield (DD-728).  from Naval History and Heritage Command

The Year Before - Operation Sea Dragon 1967 USS BARNEY (DDG-6)

In mid February 1967, the warship departed Norfolk bound for the Far East and her only cruise in the combat zone during the Vietnam War. That deployment lasted almost exactly seven months. On the outbound voyage, she stopped at Mayport, Florida; Guantánamo Bay; the Panama Canal Zone; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; Midway Island; Guam in the Marianas; and at Subic Bay in the Philippines.

DDG6USSBARNEYWESTPAC1967OPERATIONSEADRAGON001.jpg.d72407af951d769de6facbf626958497.jpg

While off Vietnam, Barney served in various ways. She performed duty as sea air rescue controller, interdicted Viet Cong seaborne logistics, and shelled targets ashore in both North and South Vietnam. On several occasions, the guided missile destroyer came within range of enemy shore batteries. She suffered no hits, but a member of her crew was wounded, lost his leg, by a shell fragment from a near miss. The warship also visited Hong Kong and ports in the Philippine Islands and in Japan.

05010679.jpg.3d704c9d3779c1597277cff7f26dc907.jpg

Off Oahu, Hawaii on March 18 1967. USN photo 1121664 by A.R Foss, PH3

DDG6USSBARNEYGemsco001.jpg.065f25d3ad0180199ab548404eeb4d64.jpg

DDG6USSBARNEYWESTPAC1967OPERATIONSEADRAGON002.jpg.4958537b582b100ad14a545741225a98.jpg

• 8 months later...