Rare Patches - Bring Out Some Photos

Airborne-Hunter

Here is an example of the very rare WAR AIR PHOTO patch from my Military Journalism collection. I believe this is British made as I acquired this piece from a family in the UK.

post-120671-0-77047900-1374616218.jpg

Here's a rear view of the WAR AIR PHOTO piece

post-120671-0-08845400-1374616317.jpg

ocsfollowme

For the 308th Eng from WW1. I saw a bunch of phosts for this patch. It is embroidered on a silk wall hanging named to a Soldier for correct colorization.

9631348_orig.jpg

www.ww2patchquilt.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help my properly identify this patch? It appears to be late 1940's to late 1950's manufacture. I bought it as an Aviation School patch but cannot find any exact identification. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Patch size is 3 inches.

post-126654-0-32680700-1381429580.jpgpost-126654-0-48752700-1381429581.jpg

Class 62-B Last Blast

I show this ID for the Patch

SPENCE AP CONTRACT PILOT TRAINING CLASS - 62-B Spence AP GA // 3302d Flying Training Squadron (Contract Flying)

I looked at the USAF UPT webpage but they do not show the contract Schools of the 50's & 60's nor the UNT pages anymore.

Terry L Horstead

I show Spence AB closed - early 1961 I am still trying to verify the ID

Great looking jacket and patch.I could only find one MITCHELL in 'WHOS WHO IN MACV SOG' that was assigned to JCRC.

Mitchell, Bernard L. SFC.Assigned to Signal Section as RAD SPVR 20JAN75.

Thanks for the info.

That would be him.

12th Tactical Fighter Squadron L (Lima) Flight, F-100 era.

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy. I appreciate your help. Not sure how Dad came across this patch, it was in his box of various patches he collected. All the other patches have been related to Army. Thanks again, John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A 3rd ID Ike w/ patch type DIs was posted in another thread. There was a photo of the Ike from Antiques Roadshow. I mentioned I did not like the patch....here's a real one:

post-622-0-56338300-1388030214.jpg

• 1 month later...

My very rare camouflage expert patch ------->

No seriously, these are very nice patches.

Keep 'em coming.

Although not so rare as those depicted here, but still difficult to find;

4wheelernobarrel.jpg

Erwin

I've seen some patches very similar to this lately and have been wondering: are these for a specific tank destroyer unit, or for tank destroyer units in general?

I know this one is rare, only 10 were made for the crew shown. This is a 'nose-art' patch painted on canvas. The a/c and crew were from the 453rd BG, 8th AF. The original owner is standing on the left-Mark MVC_007S.JPG MVC_003S.JPG

Wow, doesn't get much rarer than that! Was this common practice for crews to make their own patches? I've never heard of that happening, only painting their flight jacket backs the same as the rest of the crew.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Korean War patch - The fictitious mighty "USS CAINE" of the Caine Mutiny, in reality she was the USS THOMPSON (DMS-38) - Destroyer Minesweeper 38 ex (DD-627) Gleaves class with a short service life from 1943 to 1954.  Converted to destroyer mine sweeper in 1945

post-2322-0-19037900-1454707554.jpg

World War II - Slapton Sands, Pointe Du Hoc, Normandy (where she delivered Admiral Ernest J. King and Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower, George C. Marshall, and Henry H. Arnold to the beaches), Operation Dragoon

Korea - Train and junk buster along the North Korean coastline where she shot it out numerous times with shore batteries giving more than she got from them.

Then it was off to Hollywood and stardom.....

DMS T 38 USS THOMPSON 002.jpg