German Dog tag, pay book and photo.

rrobertscv

Last year I posted a pistol I got from a D-Day veteran, his name is I.B., 97 years old and lives with his great nephew a co-worker of mine. I.B. was with the 1st Div. and other than being unable to hear is in great health and loves to read, I try to keep him supplied with books. The nephew had told me I.B. also had some other German items if he could locate them and I was welcome to them. Well, he found them and rather than tell me, he told my wife. Her and the girls had it framed and gave them to me today, not a bad Father's day gift. These are all id'd to the same soldier, his photo, dog tag and pay book.

post-285-0-32740900-1402865444.jpg

manayunkman

Super set.

Does the vet remember anything about them ?

I might be wrong but I think the combination of the dog tag and soldbuch that MATCH is a very rare one.

The photo of the German is fantastic as he is a minor hero in his own right.

The book will tell you about all his awards, where he served and there might be enough info to figure where he was when the buch was captured.

Is there a number on the shoulder board and what is it ?

Is it easy to remove from the frame ?

All the information you gan garner can help I.B.'s memory.

The shoulder board is 416. Wayne is trying to help me with I.B., but his memory tends to blend with WWII movies he has seen or books he has read. Got a couple of photos up close.

post-285-0-66733900-1402867659.jpg

Any help with information about this soldier would be great, I don't know anyone who speaks German.

post-285-0-21668800-1402867823.jpg

USCapturephotos

Great additions to your collection and having the connection to the US vet who brought these home is priceless. Thanks for sharing!

Paul

manayunkman

This might have something to do with this unit.

From Feldgrau.com

On October 4th, 1944, the 416.Infanterie-Division was transfered to the Western Front to Metz in the Mosel-Saar region where it fought the Western Allies. On March 3rd, 1945 the Division made a fighting withdrawl in the region of Reimsbach, Schmelz and Tholey-Sotzweiler south of St. Wendel. Later it moved through the region north of Kaiserlautern. During this fighting withdrawl to the Rhine River the Division was exhausted and nearly destroyed. The remains of the Division were formed into "Kampfgruppe 416.Infanterie-Division" which was overcome and finally taken by the Americans near Traunstein in the closing days of WWII.

That's a regimental cypher on the shoulder that looks like a slip on so he might have been in the 416 Fusilliers.

Inside the book is where most of the vital information is.

Earlier on in the war he served in Russia and a different 416th IR, which was ground to dust on the Eastern Front, served there.

Nothing conclusive without looking into the book.

Easy to get to ?

I got the book out of the frame and have photos of the entire contents. It is 22 pages. I uploaded them to photobucket, if you have an interest in seeing them or can help me translate just PM me and I will send you the link.

manayunkman

Can you post a picture of page 4,12,13, please ?

Is there a page or 2 with the heading "Orden und Ehrenzeichen" ?

Those too please.

• 9 months later...