WW! Navy USS Wright and Aviation Hats and Rates

davekj

Hi All ,

Just wanted to show the 2 WW1 Hats I picked up at the flea market 1 has a USS Wright and is IDed to a L. Yaple and the other has a US Naval Aviation and is IDed to A.G. Yaple . with them came a Rate for a electrician with sewn on wings and the other patch and buttons . It turned out to be 2 Brothers both enlisted on the same day . I have included a scan of them from the Ohio WW1 Roster . Condition was Good the mothes had worked on 1 and the US Naval Aviation tally has corroded . Hope you enjoy see them !

post-1733-0-16450100-1402834764.jpg

post-1733-0-11432500-1402834785.jpg

Last ones These are in really bad condition but they are still nice since they belonged to one of the brothers . Thanks for looking Dave .

post-1733-0-41493100-1402835214.jpg

post-1733-0-30587700-1402835233.jpg

Simply superb! To find a set to brothers is really unusual and adds a nice touch to some fantastic items!

Glad you like them ! The dealer that I got them from said the uniform was falling apart and stank real bad , so he cut the patches and buttons off . I did not know about brothers then and could not figure out the different names . When I looked them up in the Ohio Rosters of WW1 soldiers sailors and Marines I was quite surprised that they were brothers and both ended up in aviation . The wings being sewn on are quite interesting also . I really do not collect navy but something like this I am proud to care for . I will have to post pics of my other WW1 navy uniform for a Baseball player named Otto Neu .

Thanks again for looking !!

Dave

That "after-market" addition of wings to the electrician globe is one of the coolest rating badges I've seen in a long, long time. All that stuff is great, thanks for posting!

Justin B.

1930artdeco

I like the fact that one of hats comes with the rain cover. I also love the rate badge.

Mike

I like the fact that one of hats comes with the rain cover. I also love the rate badge.

Mike

. Rain cover? What rain cover? There were no rain covers for these hats.

RustyCanteen

. Rain cover? What rain cover? There were no rain covers for these hats.

Steve, I think he is talking about the drawstring headband inside the hat. If that is the case it is just part of the hat. As Steve says there were no rain covers.

Steve, I think he is talking about the drawstring headband inside the hat. If that is the case it is just part of the hat. As Steve says there were no rain covers.

. Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Those hate were commercially produced, or in collector parlance, "Private Purchase"