2014 "All American Week" at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring

For the second year in a row I was able to take Dad to Fort Bragg for "All American Week". Dad was in the 319th Glider Field Artillery, "A" Battery, 82nd Airborne. He saw action at Normandy, Holland, The Bulge, and central Germany, finishing up with occupation duty in Berlin. Dad turns 90 years old next month and was still able to march with the veterans at the Division Review. He is the only 319th GFA Vet from WWII that can make the trip to Fort Bragg. Near as I can determine, only two others from his original Battery are still with us.

Dad was treated like a rock star and we had a 1/LT and two SSGTs assigned to us to chauffer us around. Dad got to see chutes being packed and watch a couple of plane loads of paratroopers jump using the Army's new T-11 square parachutes.LTC Morgan, CDR, 1-319th AFAR presented Dad with some nice booklets and in return, Dad presented the Regiment with his WWII Class B pass and ID card he used to tour war tour Berlin.I had it framed and matted professionally.

The highlight of the visit was when the Regimental XO, MAJ Salisbury, approached us and said they had just received a call from the White House wanting to send Dad (w /my brother & myself) over to France for the 70th Anniversary Memorial of the D-Day Invasion as their guest. Dad gave it careful consideration and graciously declined the invite. The offer alone took Dad for a loop.

Dad was also asked to represent the 82nd Airborne Troopers who fought in WWII at the Memorial Wreath laying on the Fort. He got to meet and talk with the Commanding General, MJ Nicholson, and also met a 2 star General from the Army's Chaplain Corp.

It was a great trip and Facebook followers can view many photos by going to: "319th Glider Field Artillery" or "1-319th Airborne Field Artillery". Dad was interviewed by the PR folks at the Fort, The Fayetteville Observer, and the "Stars and Stripes".

Greg

• 3 months later...