WHAT DOES THE US GOVT DO WITH WWII AIRCRAFT?

bobatl

I dont think the GWOT has anything to do with what we are talking about. It would not of cost the GOVT much to do a local auction. See what value the public places on the aircraft. Maybe a scrapper would have won the auction, maybe a collector with deep pockets would have won. We will never know because some GOVT bureaucrat made a bad decision. Don't fault me because I am not in a "FOB", I did my time and I don't much care for your "rant". Nuff said.

It has everything to do with it. You don't have a clue about what You are spouting. My current job is getting National Security level assets in/ out of Afghanistan. Read that as Tier One stuff. I can get Personnel on site in 48 hrs or less. Equipment in of out in 2 weeks. Yep 2 weeks for the gear to get there at NS level priority. Everything goes thru the pipeline and the pipeline is full. Your old plane has to go thru the pipeline, even if going from Norfolk to Cheatham Annex. Just a few weeks ago our CinC was in country and jammed the pipeline with the support equipment and We had a problem. Seems our K9s bedding was lost in the same pipeline and need to get some blankets to them ASAP. Some Govt. 'crat got those blankets onboard and in country with the CnC support. Yes, those same people You and others on this board disparage got the goods to the guys, as they always do in an imperfect world. You served and did Your DUTY. That does not give You the right demand that Guys and Gals who are doing the job that You are no longer doing to lose their heads, especially over some junk airplane you cant afford anyway. Go on and call these Guys and Gals a bunch of 5 Year olds and demand their heads, but beware, You may not get Your favorite Scooby snacks at the NEX.

Get's fired? For what, doing their job? Like it or not, the DLA isn't in the business of preserving old, unflyable aircraft. Clearly someone made a descision that it was not worth the cost and effort to attempt to resell an old airframe and did what they do all the time: disposed of excess property. There may also be regulatory requirements regarding airframes like this. They may not have had a choice. So, please let's put away the pitchforks.

No pitchforks, I know nobody will be fired. I said they made a bad decision and I still stand by that statement.

Here is their (DLA) mission statement;

"Part of the Defense Logistics Agency, DLA Disposition Services disposes of excess property received from the military services. The inventory changes daily and includes thousands of items: from air conditioners to vehicles, clothing to computers, and much more. That property is first offered for reutilization within the Department of Defense (DoD), transfer to other federal agencies, or donation to state and local governments and other qualified organizations. Reutilization means big savings. In the past four years more than $2.2 billion worth of property was reused each year. Every dollar's worth of property reutilized is a tax dollar saved. DLA Disposition Services also supports disaster relief at home, and humanitarian assistance and foreign military sales programs.

Selling DoD surplus property. DLA Disposition Services manages the DoD surplus property sales program. Excess property that is not reutilized, transferred or donated may be sold to the public. The property, no longer needed by the government, is only sold if it is appropriate and safe for sale to the general public."

It has everything to do with it. You don't have a clue about what You are spouting. My current job is getting National Security level assets in/ out of Afghanistan. Read that as Tier One stuff. I can get Personnel on site in 48 hrs or less. Equipment in of out in 2 weeks. Yep 2 weeks for the gear to get there at NS level priority. Everything goes thru the pipeline and the pipeline is full. Your old plane has to go thru the pipeline, even if going from Norfolk to Cheatham Annex. Just a few weeks ago our CinC was in country and jammed the pipeline with the support equipment and We had a problem. Seems our K9s bedding was lost in the same pipeline and need to get some blankets to them ASAP. Some Govt. 'crat got those blankets onboard and in country with the CnC support. Yes, those same people You and others on this board disparage got the goods to the guys, as they always do in an imperfect world. You served and did Your DUTY. That does not give You the right demand that Guys and Gals who are doing the job that You are no longer doing to lose their heads, especially over some junk airplane you cant afford anyway. Go on and call these Guys and Gals a bunch of 5 Year olds and demand their heads, but beware, You may not get Your favorite Scooby snacks at the NEX.

This is all over an old airplane that could have been spared the torch Geeeez. Totally disgusting!!!!!

I am out

SergeantMajorGray

This plane has nothing to do with troops deployed at all. They could have taken the wings off and shipped it in a container on a CIVILIAN freighter. And junk airplane seriously? It's far from junk and would have looked nice in a museum.

Okay folks, I think this discussion has run its course and it's obvious there are opinions on both sides. I'm going to close it so we can all take a breather. :)