Need help USMC APH-6 flight helmet squadron markings

littlegto

I need assistance in identifying the squadron markings on this 1970's-1980's vintage APH-6 flight helmet. I bought this helmet and three other flight helmets along with oxygen masks and a bunch of gear from a U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. who was an A-4 Skyhawk pilot. The other three helmets are all squadron/unit marked VMA-124 Whistling Death, VMA-214 Black Sheep and MAG-13/MALS-13. I have been hunting through pictures of Navy and Marine A-4 Skyhawks and I cannot identify the markings. I am not certain this helmet was worn in an A-4 but the rest of the helmets were and I know he was a career A-4 jock. This is the earliest helmet in the grouping as the others are HGU-33/P's and an HGU-55/P.

post-150534-0-75023100-1402624074.jpg

Bluespicker

This is a big time reach.....but

VC-1 flew A-4s and some of their aircraft had a blue sort of stripe on the nose. and blue band on the fuselage. check the A-4 association... longshot.... couldn't find anyone wearing a helmet with that tape pattern.. back in the day the riggers did the taping and some were works of art.... some not so much

BlueBookGuy

A really striking taping design, IMPO just wishing to have a colorful and nice effect.

Anyway a great helmet, I like it very much.

Great helmet....tough question. I would guess it's VMA 124. Is the HGU-33, or next helmet inline, a marked VMA 124? Because it's full taped, I'm thinking he had it right before he got his HGU-33. Another thought is that it might have been his Training Squadron helmet. Just my thoughts....Tom.

The 55P's mask looks to have had a CRU-79 oxygen regulator at one time and was removed, Id imagine this mask is a MBU-14 variant. Interesting to see it has one of the older tinnerman style hose clamps attached to the anti stretch cord on the mask. I've only seen those used on older MS22001 one masks and earlier. MBU-5 and 12s usually have silver colored clamps or were replaced with zip ties when changing out a hose or connector. Very cool helmets, Someday Id like to start collecting a couple Navy/Marine helmets since they usually have personality to them.