Anyone out there build missile kit models?

coli8344

Lars, you and me both. Fresno, California here we come! It may have to have a special place in the back seat of the car. I'll send more pics once I figure how to attach the missile to the wooden base. Carlos

Finally done, a little over a month from start to finish. I drilled the holes in the hexagon and circular base, note to self: you need to make sure you determine dead center on the circular base and ensure that you measure out where on the hexagonal base you want the circular base to sit so when you drill the circular base & adjoining hexagonal base it is centered regardless of whether you want the model to sit, whether at the center of the adjoining base or offset like I did with this one.

I used doubled sided tape and super glue to hold the circular base in place to drill. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the missile where the nozzles go and glued the four nozzles in place. I used a small drill bit to pilot hole the: name plate, mini basic missile badge and the SAC badge and then super glued the basic missile and the SAC pins. The name plate was attached with screws.

The missile, once the nozzles were dry, was attached with a 2" screw which was painted black and I added super glue to the screw to ensure it stays in place.

post-152401-0-10931100-1496432558.jpg

post-152401-0-61397700-1496432565_thumb.jpg

The Meatcan

Carlos, that turned out really well. A very nice display for your hard work. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Terry

Thank you Terry. How, what looked like a basic simple enough model ended up actually taking so many steps to complete

is amazing. But I did learn a great deal, and I may try it again but not anytime soon. I'm hoping others post their missile models and their building proces. Take care, Carlos

Thank you Jay. Belcher Bits has some other ICBM model kits: Polaris & Trident both Navy and also USAF B-61 & B-83 nuclear (these two B series are 1/48 scale) plus the Minuteman III & Soviet SS-4 & SS-25, and a Royal Air Force Nuclear set (I've never heard of that one). All 1/72 scale.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is not a missile kit, but I thought it would be appreciated here.

This is my latest souvenir from the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in Ashland, NE, right off of Interstate 80. The missile is on display directly in front of the museum.

BB 2.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

So, you guys like missile models...

I call this

the Tupolev Chaser

spacer.png 

spacer.png 

1/87th (HO scale - same as the old ROCO Minitanks) with a dime for comparison.

spacer.png

Modeling should include both sides of the story, right? I call it -

WAITING FOR THE NICE MAN FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Proud Kraut

Wunderbar! The figure with the hamper in front of the house wondering about the cause of this strange noise.... At least it didn´t explode. Great idea and excellent implementation!

Well, thank you! 

Truth be told, I expect she was well-aware that there was a rocket in her dining room and was just waiting for someone to pull into her driveway.

If I were to invest more time and effort with this she'd be talking to a couple of uniformed policemen and maybe some fedora-wearing gentlemen in suits (Project Blue Book or M.I.B.s).  Maybe an AIRFIX Astronaut as a HAZMAT responder.

Meanwhile, enjoy a history lesson 

Memorial Day: Recalling 1958 Middletown Nike missile explosion (app.com)

https://www.app.com/story/news/history/2021/05/27/memorial-day-1958-middletown-nike-missile-explosion/5193403001/?fbclid=IwAR00vO4Ag0G5nSQjKNnzn7BVgB6MvKF39T7QkraMKyZfkAUkGXlXU8rWGeA