Anyone out there build missile kit models?

coli8344

superchief

Well, the SARGENT missile could be a scratch built model, maybe even a "lost" kit from a "cottage industry" manufacturer. Since it appears to be wood, it might be an ESTES rocket product. The other possibility is that it's a TOPPINGS Model. Toppings Models was an American company that manufactured rockets and missiles for industry as "give- a-ways" that were presented to military "higher ups" (from the missile contractor) that over saw a particular missile or rocket. These desk top models came fully assembled, painted, and mounted on a weighted base, like marble. I have a Rascal missile by Toppings, but it appears to be plastic. Toppings went out of business in the 1970's (I believe). Most desk top models are manufactured overseas, the Philippines comes to mind regarding aircraft models.

post-162620-0-58468500-1464713815.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks for these informations, superchief! That could very well be (I'm still curious about the Polish air force markings). If this one could speak, lol.

superchief

The terrier Missile was a weapon designed to protect the fleet from missiles, aircraft and ships. Revell offered this as a kit in the 1950's and it was only in their catalog once, never re-issued. The only way to get this model was to scratch build one. I found a paper model of this missile and launcher on the internet. I printed it on paper and used it as templates. Constructed from sheet plastic, it's the same size and 1:40 scale as the Revell model. The launcher rotates and the missiles can be elevated from the loading position. It was an interesting and easy build. Cheers!

post-162620-0-30454800-1465222600.jpg

post-162620-0-24549000-1465223315.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Revell Regulus II missile in the target drone mode. With the advent of the Polaris missile, the Navy took the remaining Regulus missiles and adapted them as targets. Many were flown from the Point Mugu test range on the West coast.

post-162620-0-75503200-1466463215.jpg

post-162620-0-73878300-1466463669.jpg

Excellent work. Amazing early missile system. Nuclear capable and meant for surface ships and subs. I think the target drones were around until about 1965. Awesome job!

• 1 month later...

Submitted for your approval, one "HONEST JOHN" missile, circa 1958. Designed as a surface to surface missile, it was able to carry a 1500 lb warhead or a nuclear device. An unguided missile, the Honest John was pointed towards the direction of impact much like an artillery piece. Solid fueled, the missile was able to travel 15 miles but improved versions could cover 30 plus miles to target. Based mostly in Europe, a dozen US allies fielded this weapon, serving foreign military's from 1954 to 1985. This model is a Adam's Action model from the 1950's, I can't recall the scale, I believe it's 1:35. The model is a rebuild, when I rescued it a large number of parts were missing, it's not a perfect example. But as we used to say "close enough for government work!"

post-162620-0-78400200-1469297035.jpg

Of course I like it! Of the visible parts in the pictures, what parts did you have to rebuild? I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are an artist. Carlos

Proud Kraut

Great looking Hones John, very well done. I think I found the kit so it seems to be 1/40 scale.

http://www.postwarv2.com/honestJohn/models/upc_2150_250.html

The German Army Artillery was equiped with HJ as well. These systems were similar but had a different launcher. One question please: Were the white rockets test-rockets?

Thanks guys for the positive comments.

Carlos

In answer to your question, the "A" frame that supports the launch rail was missing so I built a new one from brass. The actual kit has the missile able to be moved from the "transport" mode to the " launch" mode by raising the A frame. My "renovation" of the model simply has it fixed in the raised position. I scratch built the windshield, supports for the stabilizing pads, rear view mirrors, cab running boards and the "A" frame support that lays across the back fenders. From the junk box came the steering wheel, head lights and two of the erecting wheels on the launchers base. Then the entire model was airbrushed with Testor's olive drab, the tires were cleaned up and painted with a grimy black mixed with white. I find it enjoyable bringing old junk models back to life.

P.K.

Yes the model is 1/40, it was an odd scale, compared to the more common 1/35, but hey, it was a product of the 1950's. And you are correct, all the photos of front line units had the missiles painted in green, the white with the red markings were test missiles, a lot easier to track visually than a missile painted a dark color. Most military missile model kits had the missiles painted white, more visual appeal to a young kid!

Regards, Mike

Another "blast from the past"...Monogram's classic rocket and missile "farm". This is another model I built as a kid, I think I slapped it together in one day. Yeah, glue ever where, decals askew, a little Testors bottle paint here and there. It was beautiful! But it got lost in time and this example was a "plastic rescue", it almost looked like the one I built in 1960. The cracked clear base was replaced with two sheets of plexiglass that sandwiched the kit's blue nomenclature sheet of each missile and rocket. All the items were "unglued" sanded, cleaned up and airbrushed. The decals were made on my computer, they ain't perfect but close. The rebuild was a pleasant trip down memory lane, I wish I had the original box to go with it.

Cheers

Mike

post-162620-0-30989800-1469554853.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

America's first ICBM, The SNARK was first stood up in 1961. It was a long standing development program; the missile was fraught with flaws and a test launch meant a test crash. By the time the USAF ironed out all the bugs it was considered obsolete as a weapon. So obsolete that the only missile squadron(in the U.S.) was shut down after a few weeks in operation. Newer, more reliable and accurate ICBM's were already in the pipeline and that spelled the end of the SNARK program.

The model is Revell's 1958 issue of the Snark, the kit has been re-issued a number of times over the years. The red paint scheme with white wing stripes were associated with the model was that of the "test" version. The deployed missiles were usually painted in USAF gray. An easy build, it was typical of the "missile/rocket" kits of the late 1950's, early 1960's. It was a nice kit for it's time but held little "play value" for kids like me. After all, the plastic missile was a one way weapon, a Sabre jet kit could shoot down a few MIGS and return to base!

post-162620-0-03588100-1470333975_thumb.jpg

So many SNARK test missiles went out of control and crashed into the ocean off of Florida it was considered "Snark infested waters".

post-162620-0-13185500-1470334882_thumb.jpg

Another "blast from the past"...Monogram's classic rocket and missile "farm". This is another model I built as a kid, I think I slapped it together in one day. Yeah, glue ever where, decals askew, a little Testors bottle paint here and there. It was beautiful! But it got lost in time and this example was a "plastic rescue", it almost looked like the one I built in 1960. The cracked clear base was replaced with two sheets of plexiglass that sandwiched the kit's blue nomenclature sheet of each missile and rocket. All the items were "unglued" sanded, cleaned up and airbrushed. The decals were made on my computer, they ain't perfect but close. The rebuild was a pleasant trip down memory lane, I wish I had the original box to go with it.

Cheers

Mike

Yep Mike, I too built one of these as a kid in about 1960. I thought it was pretty dang cool looking. I have no idea what happened to mine either but was probably destroyed or at least damaged in a move we made in the summer of 1961.

• 1 month later...

Mike, I hope all is going well-If you have built any other missile models or are in the process of building one please post. Seeing the progress during the build is as cool as seeing the final product. Take care, Carlos

Hi Carlos, haven't heard from you in a while, I hope all is well with you.

Here's another "vintage" kit, the Revell Aero-Bee Hi. Released in the the 1950's, the kit represents a typical "sounding" rocket of the period. This particular model is a "repop" of the 1950's kit and is an easy build. The rocket can be built with the rocket in the vertical launch position, I chose to represent it in the pre launch as it is easier to display in a bookcase.

post-162620-0-19064000-1474900705_thumb.jpg

Sorry, we were in the process of moving - The painting details on the figures are amazing. I saw a similar version at the White sands Museum years ago. I think they were used for Cosmic radiation research, not sure though. Did you have to scratch build any parts for the model or are these all the parts it came with-it looks great!

Mike, we are coming up on 5,000 views and I know it's because of your models. Keep them coming- the more interest the better. I've learned a great deal as a result. Carlos

Mike, you really should write a book to preserve all the model work you've done. Carlos

So true, Carlos! At least this fanastic collection of rockets/missiles will not get lost here because it's pinned from now on. Thanks for sharing another amazing kit!

Lars