Anyone out there build missile kit models?

coli8344

Mike, definitely cool! These are amazing! From scratch! You are an artist! Keep sharing pictures of your missile work!

Carlos

superchief

Thanks for the kind words, Carlos.

Here is another variation on a theme. Most folk that build this Revell kit always present it as the German V-2 in WWII colors. I figured the American version would be a little different in appearance, I've never seen this model painted yellow and black. I added the truck and launching pole to give it that "White Sands" look of the 1940's.

Cheers!

Mike

post-162620-0-43914700-1462891866.jpg

post-162620-0-02285700-1462892145.jpg

I always wanted to do a V-2 in the colors used when they were tested by the Americans.

There is a National Geographic Article titled something like "The Earth from 80 Miles Up" that had photos of the V-2's at White Sands around 1947. It also included a yellow and OD checkered jeep used by the recovery team. While the rockets crashed to the Earth, they still had instrument and camera packages to be recovered.

superchief

Hello All

Thanks for the nice comments

Here is a resin model of the "Matador" missile. It's 1:48 in scale and represented the first of the USAF cruise missiles. It's successor, the "Mace", was considerably more advanced and replaced the Matador missile as a front line weapon.

post-162620-0-44799600-1463243704.jpg

post-162620-0-92675300-1463243801.jpg

Wow, that looks like the B-61A Matador where the wings were moved from the side of the fuselage to the top. Amazing detail. Carlos

superchief

Hello All

Here's another blast from the past. I first built this old ITC kit in the late 1950's. This particular model is the more recent Glencoe re-pop of the kit.

The "Explorer" satellite kit featured a detailed interior and was displayed on a base that featured a crank lever. When the lever was turned, it rotated the model and gave off the sound of the actual satellite's radio signal. The satellites body is hinged to show the internal equipment. The prototype payload was the United States answer to the USSR's "Sputnik", the artificial "moon" that the Soviets launched into earth orbit ahead of the Americans. Some would say that this event was the beginning of the Space Race, and caused Congress to investigate the technological "missile gap" between the two Super Powers. America's moon landing certainly cancelled out that early missile embarrassment. Cheers!

post-162620-0-77609400-1463434579.jpg

post-162620-0-28814000-1463434746.jpg

Amazing! Was this kit first issued in 1959? I saw a photo of the external with the crank to turn it. The satellite is cool.

post-152401-0-39578900-1463442203.jpg

Mike, how long have you been making missile models? What got you interested in this area of modeling? I really enjoy your work. It is an area that doesn't get a great deal of attention. I've been hoping to spark interest in it and I think your work is very helpful. Carlos

superchief

Hi Carlos

To answer your question, the first "rocket/space thing" I built was a loooong time ago. In fact it was Lindberg's moon space ship, I sent away for it for 25 cents and a couple of "proof of purchase" coupons. My dad help me build it and was a favorite of mine. Fast forward to 1961 and I meet Alan Shepherd, I was big into the Space Race, astronauts and any model that looked like a rocket or missile. But like a lot of kids, I got caught up with the car culture and the ensuing car models. Space models took a poor second in my plastic kit building. My interest in missiles/rockets was renewed when I was stationed at the former Otis AFB. I would ride my bike to the abandoned Bomarc site on my lunch hour and found it fascinating so much stuff was still there lacking only the missiles. So I have been building missile models for a while(along with a lot of other plastic "wonders" in a box). I've include a photo of the rocket that started it all. It's a Glencoe re-pop of the old Lindberg kit. I added a base, moon rover and some equipment. Cheers!

post-162620-0-99799400-1463522777.jpg

post-162620-0-37597700-1463522868.jpg

superchief

Thanks Carlos for the kind words. I don't know if the models are museum quality but I won a couple of awards at model contest. Cheers!

Well deserved awards I'd say. The attention to detail is amazing on each and every model. As you post a model I research them and learn a great deal about that particular missile. Great job. I hope others read these posts and send in their work as well. Take care, Carlos

superchief

Prior to finishing up the BOMARC diorama I had a little fun with the launcher shelter. Here's a pic of MONOGRAM's 1950's model of the Rascal air to ground missile. Carried by B-47's, the Rascal was referred to as a "crew saver", a stand-off cruise missile designed to keep the bomber crew's safe from enemy air defenses. The model was only released once (so I've read) and mine dates back to 1959. The kit was molded in colored plastic to minimize painting (for the "young builder", me) and had the missile, loading carriage, and tow tractor. Four figures were supplied and the model, for it's time, was a colorful representation of the actual missile. I found this in my parents attic and never "upgraded" by adding detail or a new paint finish. It represents a time of military technology, model casting technology and some great childhood memories of kit building.

Cheers!

post-162620-0-92656500-1464110520.jpg

Everyone , I just got the following Minuteman II Missile model in plastic. Its one piece, showing the three stages and warhead. This was done on a 3D printer-amazing what they can do these days. It will take me awhile to smooth it a little & put on the paint details.

post-152401-0-98969300-1464284676.jpg

post-152401-0-58248100-1464284685.jpg

post-152401-0-27947500-1464284693.jpg

Proud Kraut

This thread is gorgeous! Now we do see the first printed model kits, amazing.

I met a Bundeswehr veteran yesterday who served with a HONEST JOHN and SERGANT unit in the 1960's/70's. He showed me several pictures of his training at Whites Sands, New Mexico. Among them some pictures of a "Missile Garden". It still exists today, now as Missile Park. Seeing the pictures I thought of this thread at once...

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/06/a-missile-park-at-white-sands-missile.html

I definitely have to go see that! Seeing the real thing helps when detailing a model. Thank you for sending the link.

Some really great looking models here guys. I really like the Bomarc and the Rascal which reminds me that there is a Rascal on display about 20 miles east of me at Goddard Jr. High School in Midland, Texas. It's on a pole (of course), and if I remember right, it's mounded upside down!

superchief

Hello All

Well, it's not a rocket or missile, but it took a rocket to get this piece of hardware to the moon. This is Revell's "Landing Module" in 1:48 scale. I have the corresponding Command Module and upper part of the Saturn rocket. This diorama is mounted on foam board and makes it easier to handle, even though the lander is attached to a plastic base. Stuff like this is fun to build and tells a story, the new generation (my grandson) doesn't even know we landed men on the moon...Cheers!

Mike

post-162620-0-82698800-1464625993.jpg

post-162620-0-98646200-1464626619.jpg

Proud Kraut

OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for sharing these pictures. For comparison I'm posting an original shot taken by "Buzz" Aldrin in 1969...

moon2.jpg

Proud Kraut

I came across this strange SERGEANT missile model kit recently. It appears to be a self-made (at least self painted) wooden missile mounted on a massive marble block. The lenght of the rocket is 27 cm. There are several markings on the missile "Warhead Section", "Guidenance Section", several numbers and two checkerboard markings that look like Polish Air Force insignia. Maybe a self-made gift?

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg