Anyone out there build missile kit models?

coli8344

I agree, they have no artistic flare like our U.S. missiles. I have learned that the older I get the more I hate decals. Hands not as steady now that I'm almost 60. It took me several tries and quite a few choice words to get them on.

Very nice display.

A bit terrifying too, especially the Soviet stuff (looks really menacing).

Makes me remember the parades they showed on TV in the 1970s - 1980s.

Erwin

It was a psychological game with them. We build a Titan they come back with an SS-18. They even copied our nose cones after they found it was more aerodynamic than the pointy version they were initially using.

Back in 1992 while in the Southwest, I visited a Titan missile site together with my friend (a 26ID Veteran).

Now that was something both very interesting and spooky to see at the same time.

Eventhough the missile and some of the equipment was replicated, it sure was impressive to see that missile "waiting" to be launched.

Erwin

The Minuteman II's we had were a minimum of 10 miles away from our silos. We always thought the Titan guys had some brass ones to have their baby right next door. They told us during training that there were exercise rooms down in the launch capsule with TV's, imagine our surprise to see that the actual capsule barely enough room for more than 2 people with all the equipment we had. Our air recycling system and the chairs were recycled from planes and subs.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently working on a Gemini-Titan II Missile model to show how the Titan II ICBM missile system was modified and used in our early manned missions. The Titan II uses a 50/50 mix of hydrazine and unsymetrical dimethylhydrazine (also known as "Aerozine-50") as fuel, and nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) as an oxidizer. It is the nitrogen tetroxide that gives the Titan II's exhaust its characteristic orange color. The Titan II had debuted in 1962 as the Air Force's second-generation ICBM to replace the Atlas. By using hypergolic fuels, it could be stored for long periods of time and be easily readied for launch in addition to being a simpler design with fewer components, the only caveat being that the propellant mix (nitrogen tetroxide and hydrazine) was extremely toxic compared to the Atlas's liquid oxygen/RP-1.

I spent a few days building and painting the Gemini capsule that will sit atop the Titan II missile system. The thin lines I made cutting down an old paint brush until it only had one fine bristle. The heat shield will be secured to the retro rocket & adapter sections. Once glued together all you will be able to see of the heat shield will be the red rim at the base of the gemini capsule.

post-152401-0-12489400-1458013900.jpg

post-152401-0-55979600-1458013910.jpg

post-152401-0-36125100-1458013921.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Titan missile modified Gemini-Titan Rocket with the Gemini capsule where the nuke payload would have been now completed. Not to scale of course but I placed the Gemini-Titan rocket next to Titan II to show similarities and differences.

post-152401-0-42861500-1458863998.jpg

post-152401-0-49001400-1458864008.jpg

• 1 month later...
superchief

Yes, I build missiles and rockets, mostly the plastic kits from the late 1950's early 1960's. I've got the original Monogram US Missile Arsenal from 1960, the Rascal missile and the Regulus. Of course Revell produced about 15 Space and Tactical rockets and missiles, got one of each (most are built). I wanted to be an Astronaut until I found out you had to be a math whiz to qualify. Oh well, such were the dreams of a kid in the 50's!

superchief

Well, as I'm new to this site, I'll try to post some photos.

The first is the old Strombecker Walt Disney Mars rocket. I felt the rocket looked odd with a cockpit canopy but no wings. So I added wings from a F-15 and gave the kit a little "boost" in appearance. The second is more prototypical, a 1/48 scale Regulus 1 painted in test colors of Hi-Viz orange. I have more pics to post ,not sure how many I'm allowed to post per reply.

"Missile men" in the hobby are really a minority (or oddity depending who you talk to) so it's good to know there are other folk like me that enjoy this subject.

Mike

post-162620-0-21550800-1462376152.jpg

post-162620-0-73094800-1462376325.jpg

superchief

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Here's a Revell BOMARC I built a few years ago. The missile itself looked a little "lonely" so I added the protective launch "coffin" to add some visual interest to it. The "coffin" is only one sided as building the other wall and sliding roof would have obscured viewing the missile. Since it still looked empty I kit bashed a Revell Tractor trailer truck into a missile test truck and added a period USAF jeep and the EDSEL convertible (what screams 1958 more than an Edsel?) The figures are from the parts box and the rest of the odds and ends were fabricated, like the yellow service platform. I visited a former BOMARC site being demolished and liberated the black builders plaque to add to the models base. I admit I build obscure things and this diorama fits the bill. Enjoy!

post-162620-0-00133800-1462465868.jpg

post-162620-0-07324600-1462466203.jpg

You can post as many photos or responses that are relevant to the thread as you like. Keep them coming!

Well, as I'm new to this site, I'll try to post some photos.

The first is the old Strombecker Walt Disney Mars rocket. I felt the rocket looked odd with a cockpit canopy but no wings. So I added wings from a F-15 and gave the kit a little "boost" in appearance. The second is more prototypical, a 1/48 scale Regulus 1 painted in test colors of Hi-Viz orange. I have more pics to post ,not sure how many I'm allowed to post per reply.

"Missile men" in the hobby are really a minority (or oddity depending who you talk to) so it's good to know there are other folk like me that enjoy this subject.

Mike

That kit bashed Disney rocket with the added wings looks like it is straight out of the Thunderbirds!

I actually remember going on the ride at Disneyland around 1959 or so. The large space ship gave you the impression it was huge due to Disney's use of false perspective. It had two large circular screens that you sat around... one made it look like you were leaving the Earth behind and the other made it look like you were approaching Mars. Then I believe the images reversed for the "trip home". Too bad that it is gone.

superchief

Here are two more pics of the BOMARC, my photography skills are not the best so please bear with me. By the way the diorama is entitled "Homeland Security, 1958". The original requirement for BOMARC's were forty deployed units but only eight were stood up in the US and two bases were built in Canada. Apparently the US Army's NIKE system won out in the air defense competition.

Mike

post-162620-0-59329200-1462547538.jpg

post-162620-0-78524400-1462547641.jpg

superchief

Thank you folks for the kind words regarding my models.

Here is a shipboard version of the TERRIER missile I scratch built a few years ago. I found some drawings for a paper model version, I substituted sheet plastic in place of paper. The model is the same scale as the Revell model from the 1950's, a period when anything rocket/missile related was "hot" stuff with us "Sputnik" minded kids. Enjoy!

Mike

post-162620-0-92205000-1462635494.jpg

post-162620-0-35805700-1462636053.jpg