8th Air Force Uniform grouping

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

I picked these jackets up this morning. I couldn't pass them up, the patch work is beautiful! They are named (nice and neat and in more than one place!) to Kenneth R. M*unce. It doesnt look like he is from Michigan, but they somehow made it here! I love uniforms probably more than any other collectable and this is the first English made Ike ive picked up. The American Ike is interesting, as the bottom ribbons are sewn on directly to the jacket, the EAMES has one silver and one bronze star on it. From the limited research i've been able to do, ive found that he brought home a British War Bride.

post-52765-0-58966100-1402614584.jpg

Beautiful! Can't ask for much more than that, and the name and service # are extremely well preserved. Very very nice score, thanks for showing it off!

Great score! Love those US used BD tunics! Have one to an air corps Lt with bullion Lt bars, and another one (actually Canadian made) to a 104th Div Private. I can post some pics of the Brit one if you like.

The owner was a Kenneth R. Munce. He was born in Minnehaha County South Dakota in 1922 and enlisted at Ft. Snelling in Minnesota on Sept. 24th, 1942 (Army). He was white, had a high school education, and was married when he enlisted. His civilian occupation was operating vehicles. He went into the service as a private and was discharged as a corporal.

BigDogMilitaria

And be sure not to hang it on a wire hanger, it will harm the uniform greatly.

For sure, they came like this, but they've already been put on nice hangers.

Killer! A genuine USAAF used BD Blouse is a dream find...very uncommon. To answer the previous poster's question, the right shoulder patch is that of EUCOM...US Army European Command....formerly ETO.

post-622-1181501738.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

Killer! A genuine USAAF used BD Blouse is a dream find...very uncommon. To answer the previous poster's question, the right shoulder patch is that of EUCOM...US Army European Command....formerly ETO.

post-622-1181501738.jpg

Great to hear! I really like these jackets. I about fell over when the man pulled them out of the garment bag. I was very surpised to see the BD blouse.

Very nice BD! I've always wanted one, but would only go after one with rock solid provenance or from a estate like yours as they are so easy to put together. Congrats on your find!

JD

BigDogMilitaria

Interesting! I dont really know much about them, other than when I saw it i knew it was Brit made. The patches are what drew me to it originally. Was this an uncommon this to do, use the BD as an Ike?

Interesting! I dont really know much about them, other than when I saw it i knew it was Brit made. The patches are what drew me to it originally. Was this an uncommon this to do, use the BD as an Ike?

Check out my pinned "Ike story" thread. It illustrates the genesis of the "Ike" from its origins as the British BD blouse.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106564-the-ike-story/

Great find. I really like the British stubby winged 8th AF patch!!!

That EUCOM patch is very interesting to see.

Semper Fi

Phil