WWII USMC uniform, WIA at Iwo Jima

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

Hello everyone,

I just bought this today, and after doing some research, I was rather shocked to be holding not just my first WWII vintage USMC uniform, but also a uniform that belonged to a Marine that fought at and was wounded at Iwo Jima. My research showed that the uniform belonged to Edward W. Travis. The following information was taken from his obituary:

The uniform belonged to Edward W. Travis. Mr. Travis was born Feb. 1, 1925, in Philadelphia. He was orphaned when he a young boy living in Baltimore, Maryland, resided in a Boys home for a few years, later living with a foster family who taught him a love for music and singing. He enjoyed volunteering to play his Marine Harmonica through-out his life for others, was an avid gardener, birdwatcher, fisherman, and won many trophies shooting darts.

Edward was a U.S. Marine Veteran of World War II, and fought in various expeditions with the 4th Marine Division. He was wounded in Iwo Jima in February 1945, and was later awarded a Purple Heart for his service to his country. In addition, PFC Travis was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation w/ 1 star, The American Theatre medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal w/ 3 combat stars, and the WWII Victory Medal. All of the ribbons are 1/2" Wolf-Brown made and the sharpshooter badge is sterling marked. PFC Travis passed away on Veteran's Day, November 11 1999 at Memorial Hospital from lung cancer. He was surrounded by his family singing his last request "Amazing Grace", and holding a mirror to see the reflection of the American flag flying outside his window, with his last words "I love you" to his wife.

I am honored not only to be the new caretaker of this uniform, but able to own an important piece of history. Thank you all for looking!

post-19935-0-60070600-1402538844.jpg

post-19935-0-69836200-1402538849.jpg

post-19935-0-80263200-1402538857.jpg

Javelin4life

Thank you! Through help from members on the Facebook page, I was able to learn that he also participated in the Roi Namur, Saipan and Tinian campaigns in addition to Iwo Jima.

cull canyon

Why is there a star on his victory ribbon? My father warms in the navy in the pacific and he also had a star on his victory ribbon. He doesn't know why it is there.

Doomula5000

From the stories I've heard the star was put on the WW2 victory ribbon to show that they were in combat or participated in a campaign. It was unauthorized to put stars on a WW2 victory ribbon so I am sure there are other reasons.

There are several threads discussing the star on the Victory ribbon. As mentioned, the general consensus is that it signified combat participation, to signify someone who wasn't "behind the lines" and away from the danger. I have several uniforms with one on them, and it makes sense, especially for a vet who might not have qualified for a CIB or other combat-related award but was still under hostile fire. Of course, since it isn't an authorized detail, it was really up to the vet as to what the star meant, and there are several other theories discussed on the forum.

Javelin4life

I've heard these theories discussed before as well. From the research I did on PFC Travis he was extremely proud of his service during WWII so I wouldn't doubt for a second he added the star to his victory ribbon to show pride in his combat participation.

• 2 months later...
American Heritage

Javelin, I had missed your post until now. A fine treasure of a uniform with a touching bit of history as well! Congrats on preserving this one. I do like it a lot. Where did you find it? I am assuming that it was named inside?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much! I found it at a small swap meet not too far from my house. The name was actually printed multiple times on the inside of the jacket so doing research wasn't too difficult thankfully. It's definitely a historical piece with a lot of significance.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this back up- I wanted to know if anyone has come across PFC Travis's Purple Heart. I would love to reunite his medal with his uniform. Thank you!