Post WWI NS Meyer pattern wings

Hobza

Hi all,

are these wings from WW2 era? What do you think about it? Thank you for your opinion

Lubos

These are post WW1 wings copied from NS Meyer design to be sold in the PX and various military surplus stores during the 30's as a collector copy.

Terry.

Not so fast. Frankly, I wouldn't be so quick to call them collector copies. These wings were used for a number of things, including cap badges for some of the flying schools. You can also see them being used for trucking companies, etc.

I would agree, this pattern of wing was available well into the 50's (I have seen it in one or two vintage catalogs), and any number of things could be added to it or incorporated into the wing its self (such as school/company names). Sometimes you even see them in gilt (see below).

Thus, I don't think it is fair to call them collector copies. It wasn't uncommon for the manufacturing companies to use WWI style wing patterns for other things. I have a very nice commercial airline wing from the 1930-40's time period that uses the Robbin's style WWI wing as its base (here are two other examples for a WWII vintage flight school).

I also enclosed a vintage photograph of a civilian instructor wearing this type of wing as a cap badge. I'll try to find other, better examples of this practice. Somewhere, I have the yearbook of one of the CFS instructors and you can clearly see this is the type of thing they are wearing on their caps.

So, they were used for any variety of things and are vintage.

post-1519-0-08618200-1402588027.jpg

post-1519-0-40225300-1402588194.jpg

I would be reluctant to give the wings posted by Hobza any creditability or for having any collector value what so ever.

There really isn't any comparison between them and the very nice examples posted by Patrick.

The same holds true when comparing them to similar looking wing badges once worn by commercial airline pilots or cap badges worn by truck drivers, bus drivers, volunteer fire departments or cab companies primarily in the 1940s, 50s or 60s.

Cliff

post-4542-0-83750900-1402603791.jpg