Delaware World War Service Medal Grouping-Info Request

warpath

Delaware World War Service Medal Grouping to R.F. Fletcher, Jr.- Grouping handed down through one family, but I assume the Delaware is his and likely none of the others.

Information Request if anyone has a roster database for Delaware troops in WW1 or for issue of this medal. Thanks for the help. Ed

post-3653-0-29302600-1402429636.jpg

Ed,

I have a microfilm copy of the DE WWI medal issue rolls but I need to get to a library with a m/f reader. I can't do that until next week. I'll take a look ASAP but perhaps another member can help you faster.

Bluejacket

In WW1, The Delaware Nat. Guard consisted of only their 1st Infantry Regimernt. This regiment served in France as the 59th Pioneer Infantry, for which a complete roster was published after the war Your veteran R.E. Fletcher, Jr., does not appear in my copy of that list. However, the Delaware State Archives has their set of WW1 service record cards open to the publc. These cards shold cover every Delaware WW1 veteran. Fletcher should appear in this card set.

Ed,

Sorry for the delay in getting back but I just got to a microfilm machine this morning.

First, sorry to tell you, this isn't a group to Fletcher.

- - - - - - - -

Robert F. Fletcher Jr.

Born: 7 December 1898 in Wilmington, DE

Residence at enlistment: 1024 Jefferson St.,

Wilmington, DE

Enlisted: 16 October 1918 in Newark, DE

service #: 5,144,209

Member of the Student Army Training Corps (SATC) at Delaware College

[presently University of Delaware] in Newark, DE from enlistment to

discharge, 13 December, 1918.

- - - - - -

Fletcher was qualified for a Victory Medal without bars and the DE WWI service medal.

If you check Ancestry you might be able to learn a bit more of his life.

Regards,

Bluejacket

• 5 months later...

Seeking USMF member JOE aka ITSDINK Ebay user name...He had asked about this medal and it had been missing only recently recovered. Thanks. Ed

Seeking USMF member JOE aka ITSDINK Ebay user name...He had asked about this medal and it had been missing only recently recovered. Thanks. Ed

Ed....this is your guy....jmar

• 7 years later...
On 6/10/2014 at 9:16 PM, Bluejacket said:

Ed,

I have a microfilm copy of the DE WWI medal issue rolls but I need to get to a library with a m/f reader. I can't do that until next week. I'll take a look ASAP but perhaps another member can help you faster.

Bluejacket

Bluejacket, 

I came across this forum looking for information on my great grandfather that served in the 59th Pioneer Infantry Regiment during WW1. His name is Stanley Knitowski and I have found newspaper articles that stated he was awarded the Delaware WW1 service medal. If by chance would you have any information in your records of my great grandfather in your collection? This thread is old so hopefully you still check it. Thank you for any help. 

Len 

image.png.833673be02b78d31c495352cd8ba4936.pngimage.png.bb2c5e1622661eac81b777ca5b45f5c9.png

Len,

I'm not usually on the forum, but their system is set up to notify a member when they get a hit on a message. So even though I haven't posted in over seven years, I just got your question. The wonders of technology.

I still have my microfilm of the DE WWI service record cards. Unfortunately, it is microfilm and it's getting harder to find a library with a microfilm reader. However, I like a challenge, and I'll check around. Even if I find one, I can't get time to check until next Tuesday 5/3, at the earliest. I'll get back to you next Tuesday evening to let you know what I've found.

Regards,

Brian  (aka Bluejacket)

22 hours ago, Bluejacket said:

Len,

I'm not usually on the forum, but their system is set up to notify a member when they get a hit on a message. So even though I haven't posted in over seven years, I just got your question. The wonders of technology.

I still have my microfilm of the DE WWI service record cards. Unfortunately, it is microfilm and it's getting harder to find a library with a microfilm reader. However, I like a challenge, and I'll check around. Even if I find one, I can't get time to check until next Tuesday 5/3, at the earliest. I'll get back to you next Tuesday evening to let you know what I've found.

Regards,

Brian  (aka Bluejacket)

Brian,

That is great! I appreciate you taking the time in checking your records for me! Thank You.